Outdoor LED Lights And Motion Sensor Lights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

outdoor LED lights and motion sensor lights

So I have a work weekend coming up and I'd like to get a bit of work done or at least plan for some.

on the planning end, I'm looking for outdoor LED lights for accents etc. I've found these...

http://fxl.com/products/default.htm?cat=LED

but they seem a bit pricey, any other brands I should be looking at? any advice in general? (I'll be doing it when I re-grade the front of my house this spring probably)

and for the work weekend, I'd like to put up motion sensor lights in a few spots around the outside of the house. I'd like to be able to have 3 modes, 1) off 2) motion sensor activated 3) on, preferably all just from a simple switch. Does such a light exist? any advice? any brands that you'd recommend.

Sorry if they're stupid questions, I don't have much experience in this area and I'm trying to cut down the learning curve.

thanks

Advertisement

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

There are also LED lamps that can be purchased to install in standard landscape fixtures. This option opens up many opportunities to purchase fixture most anywhere to meet your budget and quality needs. I use lamps from this source:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...p=%2Fother.htm

I have not noticed any motion light fixtures with the features you describe. This can be easily accomplished with programmable automation products (I use insteon and an ISY-99 from universal devices) but there would be a pretty heavy initial investment and learning curve. Insteon may also offer a simpler possibility....separate motion sensor (RF), an RF base station (called an access point) and an inston wall switch. The motion sensor sends on and off signals to the switch (via the access point). A double-tap on the switch will turn the fixture on, and leave it on, until you manually turn it off. Even this simpler solution will run close to $200 for all the parts, however.

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
So I have a work weekend coming up and I'd like to get a bit of work done or at least plan for some.

on the planning end, I'm looking for outdoor LED lights for accents etc. I've found these...

http://fxl.com/products/default.htm?cat=LED

but they seem a bit pricey, any other brands I should be looking at? any advice in general? (I'll be doing it when I re-grade the front of my house this spring probably)

and for the work weekend, I'd like to put up motion sensor lights in a few spots around the outside of the house. I'd like to be able to have 3 modes, 1) off 2) motion sensor activated 3) on, preferably all just from a simple switch. Does such a light exist? any advice? any brands that you'd recommend.

Sorry if they're stupid questions, I don't have much experience in this area and I'm trying to cut down the learning curve.

thanks
Look at walmart. I bought some very nice bright LED yard light sets that were normally $60 for $10 about a month ago on the end of season sale(set of 6). I just saw some left at a nearby walmart the other day. So check your walmart, they turn on and off themselves with a dusk to dawn sensor.
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote