DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Outdoor Hot Tub / Overhead Power line issue

23K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  afjes2015 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum (electric versus landscaping).

I like to put a hot tub in my backyard. When my house was build, in 1958, overhead lines where strung everywhere. Two sides of my yard have power poles with lines and the service to the house cuts right across the backyard.

I do have a place in my backyard that may work, but according to the hot tub place, there can not be any power line within 10 feet of the hot tub. If you walk out 10 feet from the edges of the hot tub and you lookup, you can not have any power lines between you and the hot tub.

I have 10 feet on three sides, but 7 on the fourth side (best I can do in my backyard). My question, if I could put a gazebo over the hot tub, would that help? If a power line happens to fall, not likely in So Cal as we have no ice, it would fall over the gazebo.

I have also heard that as long as there are no power lines over the hot tub, you will be okay. I was told by another person that this really pertains to large pools in which items like skimmers would be used. I long skimmer pole could touch the power lines. Something you would not use in a hot tub.

Trying to plan all this out before I make a purchase.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you contacted your local building Dept to see what they require ?

The reason for pools is due to the leaf catchers/skimmers on a pole that are always used
Not sure on a hot tub
But one link I found does indicate the 10' distance is required & the 22.5' over the pool/tub

NEC 680 is for pools/spas, 680.8 is clearance requirements

Overhead Power Lines
Any electrical wiring run over a pool or spa must be at least 22 ½ feet above the water level

#3 ·
They are not open today.. alternate Friday. I am calling them on Monday to find out for sure.

The hot tub consultant came over yesterday and said that was going to be my problem. He said you could contact the power company and see if they can move the service drop to another pole. That would free up are large area in the backyard. I am sure that would cost $$$.

So.. if power lines are allowed over pools by at least 22 1/2 feet, then falling power lines are not considered. It is for like you said.. skimmers, etc...

I will post my findings on Monday.

#5 ·
Hi Scott,

I was reading your thread from 2010 regarding spa placement and the overhead power line issue. I have the same problem and am also wondering if a gazebo takes care of the issue. Seems like it should. Wondering if you ever received final resolution from the building department in your city. If so, I’d be interested to hear what they said. Thanks

#7 ·
LJ13 - even if "Scott" gave you an answer now 11 years gives a long time for things to change. I would contact your code enforcement department (AHJ) responsible in your area and discuss with them to be sure. It would cost a lot of money if you found out afterwards things had to be moved/changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.