Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Outdoor flood lights- completely disconnected?

Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some home electric advice with a wiring issue I am having.

I recently bought a home, and I have two floodlights outside which do not work. I do not have much experience working with electic, but I figured I would be able to at least diagnose why there is no power going to these lights.

After taking off the fixture and seeing with a multimeter that no power at all was coming through the wires, I went up into the attic to look at the actual wiring. I discovered three wires that had been shoved into a small cutout in one of the rafters, the cutout being about the size of a quarter in diameter. I pulled the wires out and they were not connected to anything, as if they had been cut, or previously joined together in some way. I traced the wires back to their origin: one going to each of the flood light fixtures, and one going to the circuit breaker box. I then went into my garage and discovered that the other end of the wire going to the circuit breaker box was not connected.

I have a few questions:
Does anyone have an idea of why these wires may be in their current state instead of being connected?
Is this something that I could fix myself easily, or am I in over my head with having limited experience working on electric.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

mrhat557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Outdoor flood lights- completely disconnected?

It's possible there was a short somewhere in the line so they disconnected everything, what should be done is run every thing new however if you dont have experience with electric I don't suggest you do it.