Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor antennas.

I know very little about HD digital over the air outdoor TV antennas. I would like one that will pick up as many stations as possble. Anyone recommend a very good antenna and an amplifier. (preferably a omnidirectioal one)
Thank You

Padden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Outdoor antennas.

Padden: The sky's the limit where antennas are concerned. If price is not a prime factor, you can't go wrong on any of the most elaborate antennas available, particularly if you are in a fringe area. I live in a typical metropolitan area and use a basic low-end antenna, Winegard HD-1080 (about $55). It works fine and without an amplifier. I don't use a rotator since I am due north of all the channels of interest. Luckily, I am at a fairly high elevation overlooking the transmitters in the valley. You will find that pointing the antenna is very critical; once you find the signal, there's scant little variation to the right and left of it. Your digital TV set has a signal strength meter which is a help. The beauty of digital is that while it's highly directional once its captured you won't be plagued by ghosting, fuzziness and the other glitches inherent in analog transmision.

oilseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Outdoor antennas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padden View Post
I know very little about HD digital over the air outdoor TV antennas. I would like one that will pick up as many stations as possble. Anyone recommend a very good antenna and an amplifier. (preferably a omnidirectioal one)
Thank You

Start here... www.antennaweb.org

This site will recommend the best antenna.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

Outdoor antennas.

My own rule of thumb is, if you buy an analog TV antenna, it's good for about 2/3 of the mileage stated. If you buy a digital antenna, it's good for the full mileage stated. Note that there is no structural difference (or any visible distinguishing characteristic) between an analog antenna and a digital antenna.

If your earlier reception was full of ghosts and fuzziness and snow, then digital reception is likely to have a lot of breakups, checkerboarding or even solid blue screening unless you get a better antenna.

Directional antennas tend to have better mileage ratings than omnidirectional antennas and can often eliminate those breakups that are the digital equivalent of analog ghosting.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-01-2009 at 07:50 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote