Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor - add two receptacles, one fan/light

Existing 15 amp circuit - NO GFI protection at breaker or existing outdoor receptacle "A". This circuit includes one outdoor receptacle "A" and two outdoor lights on switches, as well as one INDOOR light (which I believe should NOT be on the same circuit as outdoor electrical).
I want to add two receptacles "B" and "D" and one outdoor wet location fan/light "C" in the configuration shown in the attached picture.
I was told to buy S40 conduit and 14/3 wiring. I found the following drawing on this forum, but now am confused on why I was told to buy 14/3 instead of 14/2 by the electrician I met at the store. I do not need a switch for the fan/light (or do I?) as I am hoping to operate the fan with a remote. If someone could draw a better layout for wire connections that would be AWESOME, as I am only a wannabe. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor - add two receptacles, one fan/light-photo.jpg   Outdoor - add two receptacles, one fan/light-picture-1.jpg  

Last edited by MyTicTacTo; 10-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.
MyTicTacTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

what you have proposed should work fine,i have never heard of S40 conduit. maybe someone can chime in on that.you would not need the pigtails on your outlet because it has 4 screws, you will need a pigtail for the bare ground.don't really know why you would need 14-3 either, 2 wire cable should work. i would include a switch for the fan in case the remote fails.

circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to circuitman For This Useful Post:
MyTicTacTo (10-22-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

can't see part of your post on #1 thumbnail due to those dog gone ads!if have to go in the grond , i would use pvc conduit.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitman View Post
what you have proposed should work fine,i have never heard of S40 conduit. maybe someone can chime in on that.you would not need the pigtails on your outlet because it has 4 screws, you will need a pigtail for the bare ground.don't really know why you would need 14-3 either, 2 wire cable should work. i would include a switch for the fan in case the remote fails.
Schedule 40 PVC???
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTicTacTo View Post
I do not need a switch for the fan/light
Well then eliminate the switch in the diagram. Also if you are burying PVC conduit, you would not be runnung a cable thru it. You would use individual wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor - add two receptacles, one fan/light-picture-201.jpg  

Last edited by collegetry; 10-21-2013 at 07:58 AM.
collegetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Yes, it is schedule 40 PVC gray electrical conduit stamped "S40". Conduit (with 14-3 inserted) already laid and new concrete patio poured. I have attached another proposed linear drawing with suggested changes as I understand them. Also, do I need to replace existing outlet "A" with a GFI/GFCI??? Remember I am only a wannabe who has done some research. Still deciding - DIY or electrician. Thank you for your time and willingness to help.

Note: Outlet "D" is a receptacle - noticed upon preview it is not specified.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor - add two receptacles, one fan/light-photo.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

Collegetry,
I noticed our posts crossed. I will look back at yours and comment. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #8

Thank you. I may remove the switch.
But, if I keep it, will it also turn off outlet "D" as shown in my last drawing?
Also, is my drawing accurate?
I am willing to work with my mistake of 14/3 cable inserted in conduit as long as it is NOT against code. I understand it will be more stripping, but I have $80 dollars worth of it and some already inserted and buried under the new patio. It sounds like my mistake is one of "overkill". I will pull it out IF required. Thank you for your answers. Others please respond as well, as I have only two days to decide DIY or electrician.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

If you're pulling wire for the fan then pull 14/3 instead of 14/2. That'll give you a neutral, and two switch legs. One for powering the fan and the other for the light. Then you'd get a wired control for each. My suggestion would be to use a 2-gang box so you've got room for both switches, instead of limiting your options and having to use a single gang fan/light switch combo. Even if you don't plan on having a light now, or don't "see yourself" needing to control them separately, it's still a good idea. Plans change and it'd be a shame to not have the better choice of a wired connection.

That said, there are wireless remotes that operate by putting a receiver up inside the fan canopy. This gets powered all the time, so all it needs are two wires (hot and neutral). Then your wireless remote handles telling the receiver what to turn or/off.

It's up to you, but in our new house I had 14/3 pulled 'just in case'.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
MyTicTacTo (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Schedule 40 PVC???
ok , now i get it!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTicTacTo View Post
Thank you. I may remove the switch.
But, if I keep it, will it also turn off outlet "D" as shown in my last drawing?
Also, is my drawing accurate?
I am willing to work with my mistake of 14/3 cable inserted in conduit as long as it is NOT against code. I understand it will be more stripping, but I have $80 dollars worth of it and some already inserted and buried under the new patio. It sounds like my mistake is one of "overkill". I will pull it out IF required. Thank you for your answers. Others please respond as well, as I have only two days to decide DIY or electrician.
Is the 14-3 romex (white outer sheath) or UF (grey)?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #12

It is a grey outer sheath.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitman View Post
can't see part of your post on #1 thumbnail due to those dog gone ads!if have to go in the ground , i would use pvc conduit.
I had the same problem about the ads & the login box blocking portions of the conversation on this website .... so, start using Firefox browser instead of Internet Explorer. Firefox is the better choice; I don't know why.
RocketGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGal View Post
I had the same problem about the ads & the login box blocking portions of the conversation on this website .... so, start using Firefox browser instead of Internet Explorer. Firefox is the better choice; I don't know why.
THANKS! can you tell me how to get to firefox, i honestly have no idea!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Here is the link to the browser called Firefox. There are others (Chrome and another one called Oracle too.) Try them all if something doesn't work on your computer. I never had the problem until the website update started.
Google to find the url for Chrome and/or Oracle. Good luck.

RocketGal is offline   Reply With Quote