Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 74
Share |

outdooor receptacle

how do I add a ourdoor receptacle to the side of my house?

jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
Posts: 1,460

outdooor receptacle

I am not a pro electrician, just a long-time DIYer.
First, you need a permit to do anything electrical. Contact your local Building Inspection Department for those permit and inspection requirements.
If your home has a basement or crawlspace, it may be easier to add an outdoor receptacle.
An outdoor receptacle has to be gfci, either on a gfci breaker or circuit or be an individual gfci receptacle itself.
If you have an interior receptacle circuit on an exterior wall, you should be able to tap into it inside the nearest indoor receptacle box for the black hot wire, the white wire neutral and the bare ground wire for an outside gfci receptacle, unless that circuit is already gfci for some reason. You don't want more than one gfci (breaker or receptacle) on a circuit.
Good Luck!

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 74

outdooor receptacle

thank you
jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,142

outdooor receptacle

Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
You don't want more than one gfci (breaker or receptacle) on a circuit.
Good Luck!
Why do you say this Mike, there is no problem putting more then one gfi on a breaker.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Stubbie's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,008

outdooor receptacle

First thing to ask is does your house electrical system have a grounding means?

By that I mean is the wiring such that your receptacles are 2 prong non-grounding receptacles or 3 prong grounding type receptacles? And I don't imply do you have 3 prong grounding receptacles installed without a grounding means as part of the wiring of the branch circuits.

If no grounding means you can extend to a new receptacle but that receptacle must have an approved grounding means connected to it to be code compliant.

Assuming a grounding means then it is a judgment as to where to connect to an existing branch circuit or run a new branch circuit from the panel. Which is your preference?

You will want it to be a flush mount box with gfci not surface mount as it will need to have a "in use cover" like this.....this keeps it from being so bulky looking as with a surface mount. This is my favorite one.....there are many types.


The outlet as mentioned must be gfci protected.

You need to tell us where your going to get power and what the wiring description inside the box is so we can assist you in getting the correct connections if your going to tap from an existing outlet. You must make the connection where a neutral is present such as a receptacle box.


Last edited by Stubbie; 09-02-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.