DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   outdooor receptacle (

jerry1967 08-31-2007 06:03 AM

outdooor receptacle
how do I add a ourdoor receptacle to the side of my house?

Mike Swearingen 08-31-2007 08:18 AM

I am not a pro electrician, just a long-time DIYer.
First, you need a permit to do anything electrical. Contact your local Building Inspection Department for those permit and inspection requirements.
If your home has a basement or crawlspace, it may be easier to add an outdoor receptacle.
An outdoor receptacle has to be gfci, either on a gfci breaker or circuit or be an individual gfci receptacle itself.
If you have an interior receptacle circuit on an exterior wall, you should be able to tap into it inside the nearest indoor receptacle box for the black hot wire, the white wire neutral and the bare ground wire for an outside gfci receptacle, unless that circuit is already gfci for some reason. You don't want more than one gfci (breaker or receptacle) on a circuit.
Good Luck!

jerry1967 09-02-2007 11:29 AM

thank you

darren 09-02-2007 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen (Post 60629)
You don't want more than one gfci (breaker or receptacle) on a circuit.
Good Luck!

Why do you say this Mike, there is no problem putting more then one gfi on a breaker.

Stubbie 09-02-2007 01:24 PM

First thing to ask is does your house electrical system have a grounding means?

By that I mean is the wiring such that your receptacles are 2 prong non-grounding receptacles or 3 prong grounding type receptacles? And I don't imply do you have 3 prong grounding receptacles installed without a grounding means as part of the wiring of the branch circuits.

If no grounding means you can extend to a new receptacle but that receptacle must have an approved grounding means connected to it to be code compliant.

Assuming a grounding means then it is a judgment as to where to connect to an existing branch circuit or run a new branch circuit from the panel. Which is your preference?

You will want it to be a flush mount box with gfci not surface mount as it will need to have a "in use cover" like this.....this keeps it from being so bulky looking as with a surface mount. This is my favorite one.....there are many types.

The outlet as mentioned must be gfci protected.

You need to tell us where your going to get power and what the wiring description inside the box is so we can assist you in getting the correct connections if your going to tap from an existing outlet. You must make the connection where a neutral is present such as a receptacle box.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1