Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

Share |

out of slots on ground bar?

I've a 200 amp service for my home. I need to add a few circuits for a kitchen remodeling.
I've run into a little glitch here ,discovering I'm out of slots on my ground bar.

How do you handle something like that?
I supposed it's taboo to put multiple wires under the same screw/slot in the ground bar.

So, how do you get around this? I can't be unlucky enough to be the first person to hit this

Thx in advance
tmorriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

One neutral wire per hole/screw on the bus bar. More than one ground wire per screw is allowed.

An additional ground bar can be purchased and fastened to the back of the panel, follow the instructions provided. Don't use it for neutral wires.

You can pull two to four ground wires (not neutral wires) off the bus bar, wire nut them to a pigtail of size equal to the larger (largest) one of them, then connect the pigtail to the bus bar and free up a few holes that way.

All neutral wires have to be on the bus bar to which the incoming fat neutral wires is fastened, or to a separate bus bar that has a heavy metal crossbar or strap connected to the former bus bar.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
secutanudu (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorriss View Post
I've a 200 amp service for my home. I need to add a few circuits for a kitchen remodeling.
I've run into a little glitch here ,discovering I'm out of slots on my ground bar.

How do you handle something like that?
I supposed it's taboo to put multiple wires under the same screw/slot in the ground bar.

So, how do you get around this? I can't be unlucky enough to be the first person to hit this

Thx in advance
What brand is the panel? Some (maybe all?) have locations for two ground bars. If so, a ground bar kit is pretty inexpensive. Also, either multiple ground wires or multiple neutrals under the same screw is permitted (not both but I just can't remember which it is).

Last edited by md2lgyk; 03-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

It's a GOULD. I already have two bars (one down each side) and they are joined on the bottom with a heavey metal cross bar as AllanJ said. SOunds like my best option is putting mulitple grounds under the same screw or pigtailing a couple of them.
Thx guys

Last edited by tmorriss; 03-17-2011 at 11:41 AM.
tmorriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

I was under the impression you could put 2 neutral or 2 ground wires under the same screw, but not one of each.
Let me know, beacause I did just this recently to make some more room.
michaelcherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
I=E/R

It is permissible to have two ground wires under one screw but you can only have one neutral (white, current carrying) wire under one screw. If I place two ground wires under one screw, I make sure they are the same gauge so the screw mates evenly with both.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote