Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Out door plug

I want to install a plug on my garage as the only outside plug I got is on the back so rather then run a long extension to plug my car, I want to just plug it in front with a shorter one. I'll probably make a hole in the brick and get an outdoor GFCI plug kit (the ones with a cover) and put some mortar in there then just shove it in and run some 12/2 or 14/2. I'll probably go with the 12/2 since I have more of that left over, and will let me turn it into a 20 amp circuit in the future.

What I'm wondering is about the height of the plug off the ground, is there any particular minimum, or perhaps other codes I should be aware of? This is in a cold climate so there could be snow getting to it.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Out door plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post

What I'm wondering is about the height of the plug off the ground, is there any particular minimum, or perhaps other codes I should This is in a cold climate so there could be snow getting to it.
don't mount it underground.

Other than that, common sense should prevail.

an in use cover should also prevent snow from getting into the recep as well as water.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #3

Out door plug

You can usually get away with following the height of the one in the back.....usually, unless someone put it in a weird location, but alas, I don't know NEC, so don't quote me.
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Out door plug

NAP's right. There are no height restrictions or minimum height. The code requires a receptacle at the front of the house and the back of the house, both within 6'-6" of grade (might be 6'-7", can't recall). Use a weatherproof cover as stated and of course GFCI protect it.

Just be sure to use a box and seal the cover up to the brick across the top and sides. I like to leave the middle of the bottom edge uncaulked so it can weep if it needs to.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Out door plug

sounds good, I'll probably just follow the same height as the other then, it's at a normal location. Not right at the bottom or anything.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #6

Out door plug

I thought an outlet on a deck counted, but my Inspector said it did not?
I did have another outlet at ground level

I like mine at least 12" off the ground, closer to 18" usually
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Out door plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSparkyGirl View Post
You can usually get away with following the height of the one in the back.....usually, unless someone put it in a weird location, but alas, I don't know NEC, so don't quote me.
But you DO know (Le) Code Canadien De l'Elecricitee. Which is similar to the NEC. But SIMILAR ain't good enough!!! (Now more than ever)Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Out door plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I'll probably go with the 12/2 since I have more of that left over, and will let me turn it into a 20 amp circuit in the future.
Unless the run is 120'+, and the load is large, WHY would you possibly use a 15A breaker on #12 wire??? Just put it on a 20A from the start.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #9

Out door plug

I can see using a 15a breaker if you have an extra
But if I have to buy a breaker for outlets I buy a 20a
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Out door plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I can see using a 15a breaker if you hae an extra
OK. For a DIY that is a valid reason.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #11

Out door plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
But you DO know (Le) Code Canadien De l'Elecricitee. Which is similar to the NEC. But SIMILAR ain't good enough!!! (Now more than ever)Don't Drink and Drive!!!

That's the one they publish only for Quebec.........but I do know the Canadian Electrical Code...........:laug hing:

Yep, and you are right, similar isn't close enough...... Isn't your code book a lot thinner than ours? Ours looks like the bleeding phonebook, it's so durn thick!!!
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Out door plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSparkyGirl View Post
That's the one they publish only for Quebec.........but I do know the Canadian Electrical Code...........:laug hing:

Yep, and you are right, similar isn't close enough...... Isn't your code book a lot thinner than ours? Ours looks like the bleeding phonebook, it's so durn thick!!!
Used to be NEC was an over 700 page book. I also retained a copy of The Canadian Electrical Code, much after I moved to the USA. But, stupid me threw it out. But you can't follow every subchapter & paragrpah verbatim. Because the AHJ (local jurisdiction) rules. That goes for both codes! (Now more than ever)Don't Drink and Drive!!!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote