Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #1

Share |

Ouch..They cut my neutral leg off!

Last month, the local utility connected a new service line to a house next door to us. The breakout pole servicing all four houses on the block is located on the property behind our house. Upon completing the connection, they neglected to reconnect the neutral line to our house.
Not knowing this, but seeing an obvious electrical problem going on in our house, I called the city to come inspect the service. They said that they checked it out and everything was fine. I then got an electrician to focus on the house wiring for a problem. Long story short, 12 days elapsed before the problem was identified at the pole.
The city is claiming no neglegence on their part, of which I'm countering with photo evidence. If they would have identified the problem during the requested inspection, it would have not been as bad. I'm assuming that any 115V single phase devices in our house have now been subjected to floating voltages for over 12 days. Were the components in our TV's etc. stressed and now have a reduced life? How would I prove damages?
Dah!!

TcatTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #2

Ouch..They cut my neutral leg off!

Chances are good that your equipment is okay. They would have likely failed during the issue you mention. Good luck fighting them. If you have no evidence (like fried TV's ect) I doubt you will be very successful.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote