Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

OTR microwave

I am planning on taking out the current range hood we have and replacing it with an OTR microwave w/vent.
1. Since I need a dedicated circuit and will have an electrician run this, what should I ask them to do with the current line that is powering the hood? It is hard wired and shares a circuit with lighting and recepticles.
2. How often is it that the vent hole from the hood will work for a microwave w/vent?

nova2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Electrician

OTR microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova2006 View Post
I am planning on taking out the current range hood we have and replacing it with an OTR microwave w/vent.
1. Since I need a dedicated circuit and will have an electrician run this, what should I ask them to do with the current line that is powering the hood? It is hard wired and shares a circuit with lighting and recepticles.
It really depends on the situation. Since he is most likely going to install a box in the upper cabinet for the microwave to plug into, he can run the existing cable into that box and cap it off.
Quote:
2. How often is it that the vent hole from the hood will work for a microwave w/vent?
I don't know the odds. Many microwaves have the ability to vent straight up or directly out. This is a situation in which you want to make sure that you have a competent contractor.

Another point of interest is that the upper cabinet is usually higher when you install a microwave, when a vent hood is going there they sometimes use a lower cabinet. Installing a microwave under a cabinet that was sized for a vent hood might put the microwave a bit too low.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

OTR microwave

I would hope that I can find a microwave that would vent directly out the back, that would also use the existing vent hole. Is this even possible?
I'm not too concerned about the upper cabinet. It is not tall, and more importantly it is 72 inches from the floor and 36 inches from the stove top. The other issue that I can see with the vent lining up is, currently their is a 3 inch spacer piece of wood that lowers the hood below the cabinet
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #4

OTR microwave

I have installed 3 or 4 over the range microwaves.

I used the wire from the hood, removed the hood and installed an outlet in the cabinet above using the wire from the hood, drilled a hole in the bottom of the cabinet for the microwave wire to go through to the outlet.. All the OTR microwaves I have installed have had a adjustable fan that you change direction when installing.. out the back or out the top...
In all the installs the fan fit out the back perfect where the range hood vented.. So far no problems with the power requirements or the venting.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 32

OTR microwave

Every OTR microhood I have wired has had a requirement for a dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuit. To not follow the instructions would be a violation of the electrical code.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

OTR microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
I have installed 3 or 4 over the range microwaves.

I used the wire from the hood, removed the hood and installed an outlet in the cabinet above using the wire from the hood, drilled a hole in the bottom of the cabinet for the microwave wire to go through to the outlet.. All the OTR microwaves I have installed have had a adjustable fan that you change direction when installing.. out the back or out the top...
In all the installs the fan fit out the back perfect where the range hood vented.. So far no problems with the power requirements or the venting.
That part is a fine line to cross and all the OTR microhood I have work I have to run delecated circuit due the manufacter requirement plus what more it part of the electrical code stated that we have to follow the manufacter instruction so we can not ingore it.

Most of the OTR Microhood I have ran into they will ask for delicated 20 amp 120 volts { maybe one or two I ran into will requiest 240 volts }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #7

OTR microwave

Agree on the dedicated circuit, and plan on that.

Anyone else with experience on the vent hole lining up for the microwave?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

OTR microwave

Nova.,

If you have a cutsheet from the manufacter it should able tell you the location where the vent opening will be located somecase you may smack right on the stud so you may have to watch out on that part.

To line up with the oringal hole? that kinda a long shot without knowing what manufacter between the plain jane common exhaust hood vs OTR Microhood location will be but I will say 40% of the time you may just got lucky with one shot.{ depending on which way the duct runs }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #9

OTR microwave

Thank you for your help!