Orange Pipe For Communications Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Orange pipe for communications wire

Anyone know anything about this stuff and if I can used regular PVC fittings with it. I am working on getting Cable TV and Telephone to my home. The best way would be in conduit and and I have an old rusted 1-1/4 service entrance pipe that I was able to pull the cable out and pull some of the orange pipe they bury communications wire in right behind it. I had just enough to get inside and have few feet left outside and would like to run schedule 40 to the pole. I just don't trust the way the cable company does it and just barely puts it below the sod.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,790

That orange flex plastic is called "interduct". Usually a number of them are pulled into a larger conduit and individual fiber cables are pulled into the interdicted.
Since there is no NEC requirement for low voltage communications cable, you can pretty much do as you want. If Schedule 40 fittings fit, go for it.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 702

The cable company likely will not use it even if it you have some conduit in place.

Typically they subcontract the burial, and some one is going to show up with a trencher and will bury the cable just like they normally do.

And most will bury it more than "just below the sod" because they have no desire to be back out doing repairs on shallow burial cabling.

Why worry about it? If they don't get it deep enough, and it gets damaged, they'll be the ones wasting time fixing it....
ktkelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

If they won't agree to use the conduit I will just put it in conduit after they leave. I want it deeper than they have been putting around here. You can hit it using a darn aerator and sometimes they put it so shallow that it just works it's way up. The machine they use just uses a wedge to separate the sod and places the cable just barely under the ground. And this way I don't ever have to worry about it and it will come up underneath my home instead of up the side.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
If they won't agree to use the conduit I will just put it in conduit after they leave. I want it deeper than they have been putting around here. You can hit it using a darn aerator and sometimes they put it so shallow that it just works it's way up. The machine they use just uses a wedge to separate the sod and places the cable just barely under the ground. And this way I don't ever have to worry about it and it will come up underneath my home instead of up the side.
Around here if you go to the cable company and tell them you have a ditch open for a new service they will give you the cable to bury.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
rrolleston (03-28-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
The cable company likely will not use it even if it you have some conduit in place.

Typically they subcontract the burial, and some one is going to show up with a trencher and will bury the cable just like they normally do.

And most will bury it more than "just below the sod" because they have no desire to be back out doing repairs on shallow burial cabling.

Why worry about it? If they don't get it deep enough, and it gets damaged, they'll be the ones wasting time fixing it....
When the contractor came to bury mine they showed up with a spade and put it just below the sod.
M Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Around here if you go to the cable company and tell them you have a ditch open for a new service they will give you the cable to bury.
Great suggestion.

Gave a quick shout to the cable tv and phone company and phone company dropped off a spool of wire and cable company let me pick up 175 feet of wire. I kinda expected they would give me RG-11 but did not plan on the 6 pair 22 gauge phone cable. Wish I had know they were going to have me use that. I was expecting at most 3 pair phone and RG-11 cable. That stuff just barely pulls through a 3/4" pipe with them both having a heavy PVC coating but we got it with lots of lube and pulling. I just stripped the RG-11 coating and wrapped it around my fish tape and stripped all the conductors of the 6 pair and wrapped them on the fish tape and one of us pulled and the other pushed.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Just an update I finally got the cable company and the phone company to make their connections.

The office was supposed to relay the information about what had to be done but cable tech was shocked about the RG-11 and I was just getting in the driveway the day the phone tech was in the driveway scratching his head. But both of them after some explaining what I was doing agreed to make their connections the way I wanted them to be done.. I just wanted to have them inside the closet instead of having all the wires on the side of our home.

Advertisement