Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

Options for hanging glass pendant lights

Hi everyone,
I recently inherited two glass jug pendant lights and I'd like to hang them over my dining room table. Currently, I have one hanging light over my dining room table and I plan to remove that, remove the electrical box for it, and patch the hole. Then I plan to cut two new holes for the new pendants and install boxes braced between the rafters, etc. All of that is pretty straightforward and isn't the purpose for my post. The problem is in actually hanging the lights. Because I inherited them from someone else, they had been hung elsewhere using a thin support cable (not suspended by the electrical cord). The problem is that the support cable is too long for my ceiling - I need it to be about 1/3 the length that it actually is. However, I can't see an obvious way to shorten it. Does anybody have any suggestions? Below are some pics that will help to show what I have. I do not have any other hardware other than what's shown in the pics so I am planning on buying a canopy and whatever else is needed based on the feedback you all give me. So thanks in advance!

First pic:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps6ae0eff0.jpg
The whole light. Note the separate electrical cord vs. the support cable. Note the length of the support cable needs to be about 1/3 of what it is right now.

Second pic:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps0f980b60.jpg
Shows the end of the support cable (ceiling side) and the end of the electrical cord. Again, I know how to wire it electrically; But I need input on the physical support part. Note that the loop on the end of the support cable is soldered together. One option would obviously be to cut and re-solder another loop after shortening to the right length. I'm not sure I trust my soldering skills, but if everyone thinks that's the only option, so be it.

Third pic:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psdb340eb9.jpg
Shows the top of the jug portion of the pendant. You see the electrical cord does not have any robust support so I don't think I can just hang it by the cord given the weight of the jug. Note that the support cable is looped through the wooden insert in the top of the jug and (as above) soldered into a loop.

Fourth pic:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psc3ec4646.jpg
Close up of the internals of the jug. All I'm trying to show is what's in there. All there is below the wooden insert at the top is a threaded rod, a plastic disc/support, and then the bulb socket at the end of the threaded rod.

cbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #2

I'd redo the whole thing and use a swag chain instead of the wire. One benefit would be the wire could be wound through the chain to hide it.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #3

Looks like who ever made those silver soldered the ends of the cable together to make a loop. Find a local welding shop and have them shorten the cable if you realy want to have that look. Any competent welder should be able to braze or silver solder a loop back onto a shortened cable.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

The lamp cord currently wired to the fixture is not rated to support the weight of the fixture.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote