Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1

Share |

Opinions on expanding foam around outlets and switches

Has anyone done it and are you satisfied with the results? My outlets and switches are quite drafty and I am thinking of taking this step to cut down on that.

I have several cans of minimal expanding foam sitting around doing nothing anyways....haha.
Michaelpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

Pull out one of your switches or outlets and see if it's insulated BEHIND the box. If it is then use your foam to finish the perimiter. If that doesn't work you can buy those foam gaskets to put at the receptacle / switches. Those do work well, but foam insulation can't hurt.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

I did that around mine, including putting 3m Window film over some windows in my living room, and it has helped. My furnace does not cycle that much, as it did before I did the foam around the outlets and windows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #4

Did you guys use the normal foam like the stuff from Greatworks, or a latex based foam?

I've read that latex isn't as flammable as the polyurethane based foams. Does this really matter if it is going outside of the electrical boxes?
Michaelpro is offline   Reply With Quote