Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

Opinion on new service entrance run

I'm in the midst of upgrading my service from 100 amp to 200 amp... my new load center is about 6 feet from the old one. My current meter is inside. I'm trying to at as much done as possible before I call the elec company to come out and kill the power to make the final connections. I'm going to move my meter outside, and have a couple of choices as to which route to run new service entrance line.

I think I'm leaning more toward option 1. But just wanted to be sure that there isn't any obvious problem with my basic layout. My city is on NEC 2008. According to docs on the elec company site, I have to install the meter at least 3 feet away from existing windows (which this new location will be).

Should I go through the trouble of conduit? Or would the standard SEU/SER type cable be sufficient. The new entrance to the home would be somewhere in the vicinity of where the blue and red lines meet along the bottom of the picture.

Also, I'm going to have to put a new hole in the side of my house to bring the new line in. What would be the best way to seal that hold back up? Can I just mortar around the cable, should I use some kind of expanding foam?
Attached Thumbnails
Opinion on new service entrance run-img_0261_2.jpg   Opinion on new service entrance run-img_0261.jpg  

philipjcaputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #2

I would go a little further up the gable & then go straight down to the old entrance point
That will avoid that odd little jog at the top
Further back from the corner looks better IMO

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I would go a little further up the gable & then go straight down to the old entrance point
That will avoid that odd little jog at the top
Further back from the corner looks better IMO
I agree, it would be nicer for the connect to be closer to the top of the root peak... but I have to be 3 feet from any window (and 12 feet above the ground) where the connection between my service entrance line and the power company's line.
philipjcaputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Electrician

Call the inspector and the power company and see where they want the service point. That is usually done around here before doing a service, better to have them on your side before doing all the work.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

yes, call POCO. It'll be a free call and they'll come out and give you input on what they are looking for.

Same thing with the inspector, they do free consulting in your county.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Journeyman Wireman

Use the spot closest to the front, go straight up, drill a hole through the overhand and use a neoprene roof jack (boot). That way you can get your elevation above the roof line.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dolores/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dolores/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Try to keep the new service drop as straight and neat as possible.

You can put it on the other side of the point of attanchment, as long as the conductors reach, it should not matter!

Here is my suggestion:
Attached Thumbnails
Opinion on new service entrance run-service2.jpg  

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #8

Can you have it installed underground? They (POCO) did mine for free. Never make a hole in the roof unless you have too. If you have the clearance stay below the roof.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
still remodelling....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Can you have it installed underground? They (POCO) did mine for free. Never make a hole in the roof unless you have too. If you have the clearance stay below the roof.
Wow - wish I could have had mine moved underground for free! ComEd wanted to charge 'up to $3000' for them to do it, or reduced if I did some of the ground work (trenching, laying conduit), but would still have charged a min of $1200 for transferring from above ground to below ground.

Just last week I upgraded from 100A to 200A, chose to move service entrance point clear across to the other side of house (the service mains were sagging way to close to ground and were cutting across the yard). Now the lines are tight, going along my property line, and the ComEd work was free (there's a small story to that one, but otherwise they wanted to charge $500 for it).

Interesting thread... I'd say if you don't need to, keep the work as simple as possible. Don't complicate it for the sake of complicating it. Also, once it's all said and done and a few months/years go by - you'll never really notice either option A or B. "K.I.S.S."

Eusibius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #10

They charge by the foot here also!
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #11

This should be sealed with Duct Seal Putty I would think. That's what sparky's seal every hole they drill with!

Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote