Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |

Ontario Inspection finishing basement

I just passed my framing inspection and I'm going to start rough-in work. I'm doing the work myself. I know I'm supposed to bring my new cable into the panel but not connect the hots. Do I install the breakers suring rough-in? When can I connect the hots and start using the new outlets?

Also I plan on moving some of the existing wiring into my new walls but I need to keep using them (dryer and more). Currently they are just stapled into small pieces of wood that is nailed into the foundation wall (see attached). When can I do this with the least amount of downtime and still be good for my rough-in inspection and final inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Ontario Inspection finishing basement-picture-041.jpg  
dave1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #2

You should be OK temporarily connecting it as long as you don't cover the cables.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1699 View Post
I just passed my framing inspection and I'm going to start rough-in work. I'm doing the work myself. I know I'm supposed to bring my new cable into the panel but not connect the hots. Do I install the breakers suring rough-in? When can I connect the hots and start using the new outlets?

Also I plan on moving some of the existing wiring into my new walls but I need to keep using them (dryer and more). Currently they are just stapled into small pieces of wood that is nailed into the foundation wall (see attached). When can I do this with the least amount of downtime and still be good for my rough-in inspection and final inspection.
This isn't what you are asking, but I don't see framing for an access hole, to the sewer clean-out!

Unless rules have changed since I retired from the electrical trade 15 years ago, you are free to make any changes that you please, when you please, once a permit has been taken to do electrical work.
Often we would take out a permit to add a couple of recepts. then proceed to make other revisions.
When, the job was complete, the inspector was given a list of the additions. These would be added to the permit and the extras were billed for!
Rules may have changed since my time, and a call to the OES office will clarify this!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
elect, contractor

I would conect up(make live) as little as possible, as first the inspector during the rough in inspection will want to see that you have properly made the apropriate conections in the boxes excluding devices, like ground, nuetrals in switch boxes etc.
secondly if you install devices before drywall you will have to remove them before putting drywall up as the ears at top and bottom of devices are to sit flat on drywall surface so the device is flush and true on the wall for the cover plates to mount properly,
3rd making wires live during construction is an invitation for an accident, operation of a drywall router to cut out around boxes sometimes a wire inside the box can accidently get nicked giving the installer a good shock, or any nimber of things can happen.
4th your devices will get messed up with drywall mud, paint or even dammaged during the rest of the construction proccess.

If you need a couple plugs to run stuff while your working mount a couple temperary boxes by the panel with plugs and remove them once the job is done.

Last edited by ACB Electric; 11-29-2008 at 05:43 AM.
ACB Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies.
dave1699 is offline   Reply With Quote