DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ontario Canada Electrical Code Question?!?

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Wildie 
#1 ·
First let me say I love this place - I've been through 2 renos with plenty of help from everyone here. so thanks!

Recently (about a year ago) we moved into a 'Mansor' - style home ... at least that's what someone told me it was called ...

we're doing a number of renovations - while I had the walls opened, I figured I might as well replace the aluminum wiring.

if you look at the picture below, you can see the outlets on the second floor were run on the outside of the 2x4 exterior wall between the roof (instead of drilling through the 2x4's).

If I were to run 14/2 romex, can I do this with copper? staple it to the outside of exterior wall instead of drilling through the 2x4 and running the wire through the wall?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You need a vapor barrier behind that box on the outside wall.
If that outside wall is actually the roof then you can't staple the cable to it. To close to surface, roofing nails could puncture it. You could staple it to the 2x4 running side ways that I see.

#4 ·
thanks - for the info - this is the existing/old box. I'm planning on getting these "special" exterior boxes at home depot - that have vapour barrier attached to the back already. I'm guessing you secure the box, put vapour barrier on, then pull the electrical box barrier out through and tuck tape.

hard to explain, but I think it's the right way of doing it ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.