DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Only one room testing as Not Grounded? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/only-one-room-testing-not-grounded-150373/)

brad34 07-15-2012 05:55 PM

Only one room testing as Not Grounded?
 
Another question already...

I have a house built in 1966. All of the outlets upstairs have metal boxes with no visible ground wire. A receptacle tester shows all of the outlets as grounded except for the living room.

So I'm wondering, what might the reason be for the living room not testing as grounded? When I touch a "pig-tail" tester to the hot wire and directly to the box, it lights up, so perhaps the ground is too weak for the receptacle tester to detect it? The outlets in the other rooms are the same as the ones in the living room, so I'm confused as to what is making the difference.

I know there are numerous possibilities here, but I'd like to hear your theories on what may be going on.

stickboy1375 07-15-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad34 (Post 966468)
Another question already...

I have a house built in 1966. All of the outlets upstairs have metal boxes with no visible ground wire. A receptacle tester shows all of the outlets as grounded except for the living room.

So I'm wondering, what might the reason be for the living room not testing as grounded? When I touch a "pig-tail" tester to the hot wire and directly to the box, it lights up, so perhaps the ground is too weak for the receptacle tester to detect it? The outlets in the other rooms are the same as the ones in the living room, so I'm confused as to what is making the difference.

I know there are numerous possibilities here, but I'd like to hear your theories on what may be going on.


First off, what wiring method is installed? Most likely, somewhere along the way, you have a junction box that contains shoddy connections. :)

brad34 07-15-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 966538)
First off, what wiring method is installed? Most likely, somewhere along the way, you have a junction box that contains shoddy connections. :)

Type TW..it looks like the first floor is through conduit.

stickboy1375 07-15-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad34 (Post 966580)
Type TW..it looks like the first floor is through conduit.

If its old AC wiring and it doesn't contain a bonding strip within, then all you can do is GFCI protect the circuit install grounded receptacles....

Yoyizit 07-16-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad34 (Post 966468)
so perhaps the ground is too weak for the receptacle tester to detect it?

Yes, a high resistance ground, maybe due to rust.
More than 1/2 ohm between your neutral and ground terminals measured at the outlet is probably too much.

If you buy a real multimeter it'll pay for itself the first time you use it to correctly diagnose a problem.

jrclen 07-16-2012 02:50 PM

Maybe a conduit connection is corroded or no longer connected in that room.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved