One Switch To Two For Fan/Light Combo - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

One switch to Two for Fan/Light combo

I'm trying to replace one 3-way switch that controls a fan and light with a 3-way that has two switches so that I can turn the light and the fan on/off independent of each other.

Tried following the directions on the switch box as well as Google'ing around, haven't been able to get it to work correctly. One switch is still controlling both the fan and light. The old switches have:
1) Ground wire
2) One red (transfer) wire
3) Black wire (hot/live)
4) Black wire (common)
5) Two white (neutral) wires

The new dual switches have:
1) Two screws for transfer wires (labeled A1 and A2)
2) A screw below those for the live wire
3) On the other side are two screws labeled "common". The two screws are connected with a brass fin, which I haven't broken.
4) And a screw for the ground

I've got the transfer wire hooked up to the top transfer screw (labeled A2). The hot black on the bottom, and the common black on the top "common" screw, plus the ground wire. I feel like I've got it hooked up right and don't understand why the dual switch is acting like a single switch. Is it because we have only one transfer wire?

Here is a PDF copy of the directions the dual switches came with: http://communities.leviton.com/servl...241%205641.pdf

Advertisement

Seth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

If the feed is coming from the breaker panel to the switch with 14/2, you would wire as step 4. If you have 14/3 coming in, you would wire as step 4a. The red is your traveler. What does the wiring look like in how was it wired at the Ceiling fan. Post a picture of what it looks like at the switch, and how it looks like at the switch.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I took the cover off of the fan but can't see the wiring. I think I'd have to pull the unit out, and it doesn't have any obvious screws that are holding it in. As far what type of wiring is in there, I'm pretty sure it's 14/2, and I have it wired up as in figure 4.

One of the switches is now tripping the breaker. It works for a little bit, turning on/off the fan and light at the same time, and then trips the breaker.
Seth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Turn off the breaker. Drop the shroud on the fan, so you can get to the screws that are holding it up. From there, it should just swing on a hook, if who ever put it up, put the hook on the base of the fan. From there, you can look at the wiring to see how it was wired. If it is 14/2, the switch you have, will not work, so you will need to get a remote that controls the fan & light.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 way , 3 way switch , fan/light combo , fan/light switch , three way switch