Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

One outlet won't work

I have a bathroom with 2 outlets in it one is a GFI and the other isn't. The GFI is not tripped and provides electricity. The other without the GFI does not work. From one of your videos and looking on google I have taken them out and they are connected (the GFI provides power to the non GFI). The GFI does not test/reset, but still has power.

Is it just a bad GFI that I can replace myself or a bigger problem that I should call a professional on?

gsensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

One outlet won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsensel View Post
I have a bathroom with 2 outlets in it one is a GFI and the other isn't. The GFI is not tripped and provides electricity. The other without the GFI does not work. From one of your videos and looking on google I have taken them out and they are connected (the GFI provides power to the non GFI). The GFI does not test/reset, but still has power.

Is it just a bad GFI that I can replace myself or a bigger problem that I should call a professional on?
I'm no electrician, but if a GFCI does not trip with the test button, it certainly should be replaced.

You are not working on this with live wires, are you?

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

One outlet won't work

Quote:
The GFI does not test/reset, but still has power
That's a problem. If it won't test, then it won't trip and is as good as nothing.

What wires are on the back of the GFI? And on what terminals? (pictures are better than words, but words are better than nothing )
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,188

One outlet won't work

start by replacing gfi.....TURN OFF POWER 1ST....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,090

One outlet won't work

Are the lines going to that outlet connected to the load side of the GFI?
It will say load on the back side.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

One outlet won't work

Some older model gfci's would disconnect the downstream power, but would stay hot themselves.

Newer ones will not reset if the power is not correctly connected.

Replace the gfci and test again.
ben's plumbing (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

One outlet won't work

Recheck your line and load before replacing.
Jdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #8

One outlet won't work

I will try pictures and words. The BOTTOM screws have Line and the TOP have Load. There are 2 black wires connected to the RIGHT side 2 white wires connected to the LEFT side. All directions are looking straight at outlet.

http://twitpic.com/87c31g
http://twitpic.com/87c43x

The house is about 100 years old and a previous owner did work on it their selves. Given the way other things are done it would not surprise me if something is wrong. They were the type who give DIYers a bad name.

And just to clarify the power was off when I had the plug out getting the pictures and I had the power on when trying to test/resest.

Last edited by gsensel; 01-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #9

One outlet won't work

I am going to be out today, so I am going to stop by a hardware store and get a GFI outlet and Outlet/GFI tester.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

One outlet won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsensel View Post
I am going to be out today....
While you're there pick up a non contact tester... or better yet get a basic analog VOM which is about the same cost and always useful to have around.

When you get home you'll need to determine which of those two pairs of wires (B&W) in that box is always hot. They'll go on the "line" side terminals of the new GFI.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-15-2012 at 10:01 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
bbo

One outlet won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
While you're there pick up a non contact tester... or better yet get a basic analog VOM which is about the same cost and always useful to have around.

When you get home you'll need to determine which of those two pairs of wires (B&W) in that box is always hot. They'll go on the "line" side terminals of the new GFI.
better yet, get two. that way you'll always have one with batteries. they really aren't expensive. I tend to overdo it with safety equipment.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #12

One outlet won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post

I did pick one up. Work until Friday, so haven't done anything yet. Not sure how to do this part.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #13

One outlet won't work

Ok I got a tester, and the GFI is wired correctly according to it, but the GIF did not trip so I will replace it. The other plug when I put the tester in showed no lights which I assume to mean no power. I put it in another outlet and it gave the lights for correct, so am I correct that the outlet not working is not getting power?

If my thought is correct does that mean it would need to be rewired or will replacing the GFI possibly fix the issue?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

One outlet won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsensel
Ok I got a tester, and the GFI is wired correctly according to it, but the GIF did not trip so I will replace it. The other plug when I put the tester in showed no lights which I assume to mean no power. I put it in another outlet and it gave the lights for correct, so am I correct that the outlet not working is not getting power?

If my thought is correct does that mean it would need to be rewired or will replacing the GFI possibly fix the issue?
If the gfi doesnt trip it MUST be replaced, hopefully that will resolve the other issue however if it doesn't come back.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #15

One outlet won't work

After taking the old GFI out and putting the new one in (wired the same way) I had no power to either outlet. So I thought I had a wire on bad (used curved method to the screw, and my ground fell of after barely touching. I then trimmed and used the holes, but still had no power.

Even though I was not keen on the idea of having live wires out where I would be near them I turned the power on and check for which was the hot set. Upon doing this I found out the hot were going to the load side (again I did not install it the first time)

So I switched the load and line and it powered up just fine, showed it was wired correctly and GFI tripped, and now the other outlet works.

This just nails home my opinion that if you are going to DIY be sure and have knowledge or Google it before trying. Thanks for all your help!

The Following User Says Thank You to gsensel For This Useful Post:
bbo (01-22-2012)

Tags
bad outlet, bathroom, electrical, gfi