Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to tinman73

Omg! K&t!!

I have a question about an older house with knob and tube wiring and old wiring in general.

I am in the process of buying an older home (1927) and during the inspection some knob and tube wiring was found in the eves of the attic.

I am hoping that its either been long since abandoned or just running some inconsequential light I noticed in the front room.

That got me thinking about the rest of the wiring in the house.
The service into the house was recently upgraded to 200A and all the wires outbound of the panel are new.

Most of the outlet covers and switch plates have decades worth of paint covering them up so it is obvious the entire house was not upgraded with the service. I am assuming that the new wire is ran to a box where it is spliced into whatever old wire is in the walls. That got me wondering, will a house built in 1920's Chicago have conduit? If not how would it be run? Worse yet, how would it be replaced!?

The light in the dining room is pretty interesting as well. There is one light and 3 different switches that control it. One on the south wall one on the north and one right behind that wall in the front room. That seems like it will come in very handy, except when it is time to install a ceiling fan.

There seems to be a mix of grounded and non grounded outlets as well.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is what ancient treasures will I be in store for when I start poking around?

I have a closing date of 5/30 so I should be able to ask more pointed questions then.

tinman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Omg! K&t!!

None of us can guess what you will find. Only by looking will tell.