Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #1

Share |

Old work box templates

Does anyone have any printable templates or links to such online for installing carlon single and dual gang old work boxes

thanks

scrupul0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #2

Old work box templates

You might want to go to www.cutzout.com and see if they have any printable templates. I know that they have templates that guide spiral saws to cut drywall for single gang and double gang boxes, but don't remember whether they offered printable templates. I have attached a picture of their single gang template. It looks as though it could be used to draw the outline for a box.
an old handyman
Attached Thumbnails
Old work box templates-cutzout-20single-20gang-20installation-20template-201.jpg  

oldhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Old work box templates

no luck with printables, but thats some AWESOME stuff right there... thanks for the info
scrupul0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Old work box templates

I am really not trying to be a jerk about this, but if you need one of those tools to cut out a rectangular hole in sheetrock you probably shouldn't even be using power tools in the first place.

scrupul0us, there is no secret trick to marking out boxes. Just hold the opening of the box against the wall and mark around the edges.
If there is casting flash in places you should break it away so you have an accurate marking.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #5

Old work box templates

Petey, you probably put more boxes in, in a day then I will in a life time, but placing the opening of the box on the wall and outlining it, is what gives me the problem, for new work, I use the plastic box with the ears that extend when turning the screw., If I outline the front, the box goes right thru so I start small and keep checking, and yes, thank goodness I'm not getting paid by the hour for it.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Old work box templates

I guess I should have said mark around the box edges, and not the ears that stick out.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
electrical contractor

Old work box templates

Carlon used to put a paper template in the box with their old work boxes, look in the box where ever you buy them and see if they still do put them in. You could also make your own out of poster board or cardboard, take the time to do it right once, then just trace it out on the wall.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote