DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

old wiring

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 ·
my house has old wiring with only white and black wires no ground.
when i add a new outlet or whatever to a junction box what do i do with the ground...just connect it to the box or what?

#6 ·
The bare/ green wire gets attached to the metal box and then to the green screw on the receptacle.

If you have or are using a plastic box then the bare/ green wire goes directly to the green screw on the receptacle.

The point of grounding/ bonding is to provide a low impedance path to clear a fault.

What's a fault?

Here is how the NEC defines a fault: An unintentional, electrically conducting connection between an ungrounded (hot) conductor of an electrical circuit and the normally non–current-carrying conductors, metallic enclosures, metallic raceways, metallic equipment, or earth.

#8 ·
Choice of:

2. Install a two prong receptacle.

3. Install a GFCI receptacle unit. Label the cover plate "no equipment ground"

4. Install a GFCI breaker for the circuit or a GFCI receptacle upstream on the same daisy chained circuit and label the new standard receptacle's cover plate "GFCI protected, no equipment ground".

I would not feel comfortable merely pigtailing the metal box to the receptacle green screw since I am not sure of the quality of grounding given the joints, possibly quite oxidized, between BX cable sheath and box clamps daisy chaining down to the panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.