Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Newbie
 
drtngirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Share |
Default

Old wiring


My house was built in the late '40s/early '50s, I've got a few areas that have the original wiring in it. It is still in good condition inside the house from the looks where I took down a wall and is being contained. Under the house in the crawl space do I need to do anything there since it's asbestos?

drtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,224
Default

Old wiring


What you need to know is this----is the old wiring grounded? Many houses of that age only had two wire cables---power and neutral--no ground---

Is the wire heavy enough for your use? 14 gauge is for 15 amps--12 G. is for 20 amps.

If your knowledge of wiring is lacking---hiring an electrician to check what you have and possibly up grade it would be a good investment.

Post a picture of what you have----one of the electricians here can help you assess the wiring.

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Newbie
 
drtngirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Old wiring


The wires have been grounded and the plugs they go to are up to date grounded 3 prong sockets. Dishwasher and stove run on newer wiring. I guess I'm more concerned about the asbestos factor since I'll have to do some insulation work under the house.
drtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Owasso OK
Posts: 347
Default

Old wiring


"Under the house in the crawl space do I need to do anything there since it's asbestos"

What material is asbestos?
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 1,405
Default

Old wiring


Who identified it as containing asbestos ?
Did you have it examined by a laboratory to confirm the visual suspicion ?
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Newbie
 
drtngirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Old wiring


The original wires are asbestos coating.
drtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Owasso OK
Posts: 347
Default

Old wiring


How did you determine the wires have an asbestos coating?
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Newbie
 
drtngirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Old wiring


My dad said they were and it was a popular item back in that time frame.
drtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Owasso OK
Posts: 347
Default

Old wiring


Asbestos certainly was used a lot in that era ... But I really think you ought to somehow take a small piece to be tested. I'll bet you'll find it is not asbestos.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 1,405
Default

Old wiring


While asbestos was used in that era, it would be fairly uncommon is house wiring. You would be far more likely to find it in the internal wires of an electric range, toaster, motor, etc. A high temperature application.

My guess is it is cloth covered NM.

I would say that the wall you opened up, if it was plaster or drywall, would be far more likely to have had asbestos in it.

Still the only way to be sure is to test it.
I would consider having the whole house inspected by a pro, and tests run on all suspect items found.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,526
Default

Old wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by drtngirl View Post
The original wires are asbestos coating.
Almost certainly not, unless someone used a bunch of leftover wire from an industrial facility. They are most likely cotton cloth covered. Asbestos was only used for unusual types of high temperature wire.
__________________
I am a lawyer, but not your lawyer. And who cares anyways? We're here to talk construction. This is DIY advice, not legal advice.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 390
Default

Old wiring


The house insulation if any might be asbestos, the cable I doubt it.

You say you have ground (3-prong receptacles) how are they grounded, is the existing cable is 2-wire or is it 3 wire?

If you are concerned about the quality of the existing cables you could have an electrician meg them (megger-insulation resistance tester)
Know A Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,357
Default

Old wiring


I dont remember asbestos used in domestic type electrical cables !
There was however a fibreglass over rubber coated style wire that would look like asbestos,
But it is not !

dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attic wiring - ceiling lighting uses 14/2 cable without ground darlingm Electrical 3 11-29-2011 09:01 AM
Backyard wiring questions MikeInDetroit Electrical 1 11-02-2011 09:46 AM
Cloth Wiring - Replace? JessicaGus Electrical 9 09-23-2009 06:45 PM
Replacing wiring in middle of run, ungrounded lighting circuit alexz Electrical 3 07-05-2007 08:53 PM
Knob & Tube wiring - How concerned should we be? hotdiggitydog Electrical 6 04-11-2006 07:52 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.