Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #1

Share |

Old Square D Fuse panel problem

I have an older house with a 4 fuse panel. It appears the electricity feeds in on the top left 2 connectors to feed the box. I have lost power to the third fuse (going left to right), but have power to the fourth fuse. Is there a solid link that has broken between two and three, or is there something I can check and fix. It seems one and four are together by testing and two and three should be together but no power on three. I have temporarily ran a wire from the top of two to the top of three to get things working. It is feeding the fuse down through the right side fuse block that used to go to the electric stove which is no longer in use.

Is this safe or do I risk a fire?
beadenuser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #2

Are you sure you lost power going to the fuse and not coming from the fuse? The fuse position could have a rejection ring in the bottom that is for a different size fuse or has just come loose. This will cause the fuse to not connect in the bottom of the socket.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #3

I had my daughter call me and say that just some things were not working in the house. I changed the fuse and still nothing. That is when I tested to see if any power was present in the socket. I had no power to the socket but could test number four by touching the bottom of the socket and ground to get 126 volts. I even had no power going up through the right side pull disconnect to the electric stove connection.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #4

Call the POCO. Sounds like one of the legs feeding the house has gone out. If you have a main fused disconnect check the fuses in it. One of them could be out.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #5

Thanks Joed.
I did call the power company and they came out and said problem is in the house. Last night I took out mains and cleaned the grounds. When I put mains back in had a pop and I blew #2 main fuse. Went in the house and made sure furnace was turned down and turned off fans and lights before I replaced the main fuse. Now everything works like it is suppose to. I have power at all four sockets and up through the range connections now. Not sure why it all works, but should I replace the box to be safe?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #6

IF the fuse was not blown when you removed it then it sounds like the fuse holder contact may have been bad.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #7

I'm not sure why it failed. You would think it would still be bad. Must be a bad connection that reestablished itself when I was working and wiggling things in the box. That area is not visible to see how it is connected. Would think it is a solid copper connection.
I think I might just replace the box with a breaker box. Especially if it fails real soon. Not sure I can get it replaced before cold weather settles in but it is working for now.
Thank you for trying to help me.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #8

The part of this that scares me is that the main fuse blew when you reinserted it. The furnace did not cause that alone.

My hunch is that something inside the panel came loose and, in all the moving around, shorted against something else. When you put the fuse back in, it probably blew the short open, temporarily solving the problem.

I say temporarily. If it's floating around loose in there, it WILL short again sooner or later. A purist would insist that you replace the panel altogether. I'm less critical, but FINDING the problem and resolving it is absolutely necessary. Don't rely on "it fixed itself", because if it can FIX itself, it can BREAK again, and in this case, a serious hazard is a likely result.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #9

If you still have an old fuse panel and are having problems then you should change the panel. If you know someone whos an electrician have him help or make a couple of calls and see if you can find one to do it. Problems like this can lead to fires which om sure everyone will agree is something you dont want.
lordlondis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #10

Emolatur you are thinking the same way I am. I will try to replace it on Saturday.

Thank You
Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #11

Thanks all you guys for your comments. I have replaced the panel with a 100 amp breaker box. Everything is fine.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #12

Not accusing, but was the old panel 100amp?
If not, did you make sure to replace SEC, conduit, meter etc if not rated for 100amp?
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #13

I replaced the service entrance cable with cable from the power company rated for 100 amp and only put in 15 amp breakers. Didn't use half the box capacity and has service breaker disconnect at 70 amp. That should be fine? Old box was 60 or 70 amp service.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #14

I don't think it's LEGAL to install a 60amp service on a house anymore, but it's certainly safe. :P
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote