Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #1

Share |

old screw in fuse problem

My wife and i just bought a 50 year old house and the wiring is an absolute mess. Im just replacing light switches and some are jumped off each other and its just all over the place. But that's besides the point, whatever they did worked until I tried replacing them and crossed a wire some how blowing the fuse. Upon undoing all wiring I did I went down stairs and replaced the screw in type S fuse that was shot with another 15 amp fuse that was from the furnace spot so I knew it was good. Now im not getting any power even with a good fuse. Is it possible I blew whatever the slot is called that the fuse screws into? Im new to these fuses im use to breakers. Thanks for any help.

uniquelyinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

There must be a loose connection somewhere. If you blow a fuse (or trip a breaker) there is a chance that at that moment a marginal connection became loose because of a large current flow for that moment.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

There must be a loose connection somewhere, probably at one of the switches or receptacles in the daisy chain. If you blow a fuse (or trip a breaker) there is a chance that at that moment a marginal connection became loose because of a large current flow for that moment.

When you use both of the screws on one side of a receptacle unit to continue power to additional locations, it is not unheard of for the tab that bridges those two screws to crack and stop the continuation of power past that point. For some wiring arrangements that tab is supposed to be removed by bending back and forth until it snaps off.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-13-2012 at 08:46 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

So it is possible if the circuit is not complete (one switch isn't wired up) that the whole area that fuse controls can be killed?
uniquelyinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquelyinked View Post
So it is possible if the circuit is not complete (one switch isn't wired up) that the whole area that fuse controls can be killed?
Yes. If you take a break from your project and some of the outlet boxes still have the wire ends hanging out, portions of the areas, possibly the entire area served by that circuit, could be dead.

The more reliable method of wiring is to connect the incoming and continuing wires directly to each other with a short length (pigtail) added to reach the receptacle or switch in that box. But even here you should not energize the circuit until everything is put back together or at least you tape the loose ends of the pigtails.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-13-2012 at 10:03 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

Or the fuse blew right away and now you have two blown fuses.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

or damaged the fuse holder.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote