Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

Share |

Old man running Electrical to workshop

My son has a workshop that's 150 feet from his house. He has 100 amps going into the main house (rural) and 200 amps to an outside panel below the meter (on the house). I would like to run 100 amps to his workshop for him from this outside panel. It seems straight forward to me, but I thought I would get your advice, I read the columns religiously (I'm old). I plan on trenching down 18 inches. Then from the house, running metal conduit 4 feet across and then down (I'm trying to avoid cement that's below the panel/meter. I'd then switch to non metal in the trench from a 90 elbow. THe trench will need to turn a few times to avoid trees/driveway. I will run 2/0 AL 4 single wires (2 hot, neutral,ground) to a subpanel at the workshop. I'll unband the ground and neutral bars, run rods (2) out 6 feet and go down 8 feet with them. From there, I'm good with the workshop wiring. Did I miss anything? I grew up before "neutral" was a necessity, everybody said they were just trying to sell more Cu. Thanks a bunch.

Screwitharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwitharder View Post
Did I miss anything? I grew up before "neutral" was a necessity, everybody said they were just trying to sell more Cu. Thanks a bunch.
Neutral was always a necessity. The terminology is what confuses everyone...

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

1) With just 4' across the house, I would just run PVC the whole way.

2) With 2/0 ungrounded conductors, you could go with a 1/0 neutral and a #2 ground. All 4 @ 2/0 would be overkill.

3)If your trench will turn a few times, plus a 90 going in and a 90 coming out, I would just go another 6" and use direct burial wire and just use pipe in and out of the ground. You'll play hell pulling that length and size wire in too many bends.
Quote:
I grew up before "neutral" was a necessity
You mean ground
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conduit, electrical, subpanel, trench, wiring