Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Hi All, I have an old house built back in 1962 and it has a Low Voltage Wiring system! The old Remcon relays are starting to fail and I have been replacing them with Remcon Amprobe #R-115s. And now I'm trying to find replacement switches and cover plates.
Looking for help on locating switches and cover plates that will work with my old system. The relays have the 3 low voltage wires that lead to my switches. My old switches are the Momentary rocker type with 2,3 and 4 gang switches throughout the house. My goal is to replace all of them. Hope someone on the forum might be able to lead me in the right direction, Thanks in advance Scott

srwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Hey pal, things that originated in 1962, like your house, or even 11 years earlier, like me, are not "old". Seriously, I have never seen an entire house wired with low voltage. Sorry, no help, but just couldn't pass up the smart ass comment. Good luck.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Old Low Voltage Wiring

I know you can get the relays, you obviously do as well, but I have not seen the switches. You may have to build something yourself out of stock toggle/bat/rocker type switches and blank plates.

Those systems were fine back in the day but I wonder if they had any long term predictions of what would happen 40 years later.......
Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #4

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Thanks for your interest in my post on the Low Voltage Wiring, Yes the entire house is wired with the low voltage, Honestly its not a bad system, and kind of neat being able to close the Garage Doors and turn off all lights from the Master Bedroom and being able to see if any lights were left on in the house or outside (when they are all working OK.) back then it was only available on High End houses, Now that I found the Relays everything is working as intended. my quest for switches and cover plates is cosmetics as they are all working OK, but through the years they become faded and cracked. Your right I guess a 45 year old home isn't really old but its up there. Scott
Old 01-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #5

Old Low Voltage Wiring

srwjr,

Do the individual wall switches have two wires or three wires?

There are standard wall switch replacements with a conventional look for two-wire switches.

...Christopher
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #6

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
srwjr,

Do the individual wall switches have two wires or three wires?

There are standard wall switch replacements with a conventional look for two-wire switches.

...Christopher
Mine have the 3 wires from the relays to the switches,
with 2,3 and 4 gang switches in the wall box and they are throughout the house. my relays are the Amprobe #115s. Scott
Old 01-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #7

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Any single pole double pole center off momentary switch will work.

Here is an example: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?a=b&item=2857
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #8

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
Any single pole double pole center off momentary switch will work.

Here is an example: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...?a=b&item=2857
Your right about the switches working but to do so I would need to do a lot of plaster work as the switches won't fit in my situation, my low voltage switches are only 5/8 inch wide and there are 2,3or4 switches per location, the standard switches are just too big. so the hunt continues.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #9

Old Low Voltage Wiring

They make mini toggle switches like what you want.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #10

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Check out these McMaster-Carr part numbers.

7246K19

7343K783

You will need to make your own covers to install the switches in. Sounds like a fun weekend project.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #11

Old Low Voltage Wiring

I've got good news to report! I found a Co. that manufactures low voltage system's and they have a retrofit switch/cover plate that will work with the old low voltage systems like mine!! I will need to do a little plaster work but not too bad. their mountings are more like standard switch's, where as mine are turned sideways, not sure I'm explaining this right but anyway they will work. the Co. is Touch-plate Lightling. www.touchplate.com/ Thanks for all the replays trying to help, you guys rock!!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #12

Old Low Voltage Wiring

srwjr,

Thanks for the link.

I thought that you needed 3-wire switches. Everything I saw there was 2-wire, perhaps I missed something.

...Christopher
Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #13

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
srwjr,

Thanks for the link.

I thought that you needed 3-wire switches. Everything I saw there was 2-wire, perhaps I missed something.

...Christopher
Christopher, Go back into the link and check out the switch page, look at the ECL (Eclipse) series and read the features and you will see they are compatible with the older 3 wire relay system. now when I called the customer technical guy he told me the LED switches won't work with mine only the non LED switch will work. Regards
Old 01-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #14

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Scott,

Yes, I see.

What they are saying is that you need a 2-switch unit per existing 3-wire switch. One new switch turns the light on, the second new switch turns the light off. This is not exactly unique to the ECL (Eclipse) series but that series makes the most sense.

...Christopher
Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #15

Old Low Voltage Wiring

Check out this web site

http://www.alltestequipment.com/cgi-...&action=search