Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

old light fixture box is broken

The old light fixture box in the ceiling is broken. Can you please advise on how how to remove this thing and install a new one? Also, does home depot/lowes sell these?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
old light fixture box is broken-optimized-102_1526-1-.jpg  

hindimvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

That is most likely a nail-on box held on by two nails. Do you have access above this box?

A hacksaw blade will cut the nails off when slid between the framing and the box. You can also crack the box and then pull the nails.

Be careful not to damage the cable.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
That is most likely a nail-on box held on by two nails. Do you have access above this box?

A hacksaw blade will cut the nails off when slid between the framing and the box. You can also crack the box and then pull the nails.

Once you remove the old box--assuming you haven't damaged the ceiling much--you'd want to buy an "old work" box.

Why did it break in the first place? What type of fixture are you hanging? If it's heavy you may want to consider something like a Westinghouse Saf-T-Box (sold at Home Depot). It has a bar that screws itself into the two adjacent joists and will hold more weight. If you're against the joist already they make one that screws into the joist directly.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #4

thanks Jim. I don't have access above the box.

Quote:

Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

thanks Bubbler. The light fixture just came off hanging by the screws on the unbroken side of the box. I'm guessing that it was damaged when the previous fixture was installed. Not sure.
I intend to hang the same light fixture as before (it's like a dome shaped glass).
HOw does one install the "old work" box? Is that available at home depot too?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
Once you remove the old box--assuming you haven't damaged the ceiling much--you'd want to buy an "old work" box.

Why did it break in the first place? What type of fixture are you hanging? If it's heavy you may want to consider something like a Westinghouse Saf-T-Box (sold at Home Depot). It has a bar that screws itself into the two adjacent joists and will hold more weight. If you're against the joist already they make one that screws into the joist directly.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindimvs View Post
thanks Bubbler. The light fixture just came off hanging by the screws on the unbroken side of the box. I'm guessing that it was damaged when the previous fixture was installed. Not sure.
I intend to hang the same light fixture as before (it's like a dome shaped glass).
HOw does one install the "old work" box? Is that available at home depot too?
thanks
Yep, old work boxes sold at either Lowes or Depot

They have a flange that should (hopefully) be a bit larger then your current opening. You insert the box and then turn some screws on the face of the box to spin out these little "ears", as you turn the screws it pulls the ears tight, sandwiching the drywall/plaster between the ears and the flange. There are different variations on the same by different brands, Carton is the big box brand.

Pick one up, study it for a few moments, you'll understand quickly how it works.

Be sure to pull your wire through before you put the box in...

If you do have the joist right there you may consider some of the other boxes--just look around the aisle, ask an apron wearer from help, these are the easy Q's for them (and they'll show you how the boxes work).
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbler For This Useful Post:
hindimvs (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

This is the style I would use instead of an old work box with the ears.

http://www.smartboxinc.com/smartboxes.php
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Bubbler, [See link that Jim posted] I used one of the double gangs for my light switches for the Kitchen remodel. It made things a lot cleaner, and it actually will hold more weight than the old work boxes. Now of course, since this is a ceiling fixture box, it may be better if they used one of the fan mounting brackets instead. Just in case someone came along later and wanted to take down that light and put up a ceiling fan, or worst a heavy chandelier.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-20-2011 at 10:49 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #9

dident watch the video on them smart boxes. I'm on my phone and it was not loading for me. I would definitely be concerned about grounding though. If u put metal screws inside the box they have to be grounded. Especially if they were driven through metal studs.
AlKapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

The Smartboxes are UL listed and do not need to have the screws grounded.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
The Smartboxes are UL listed and do not need to have the screws grounded.
Jim thanks. When I picked up the 2 gang, I never looked to see what the actual name of it was. But yep, that is the type I used for the two light switches by the stove. It was a lot easier to use, especially in that we removed a New work style single gang out of that location.

For the OP you did not have to ground the screws, due to they get recessed into the box, so nothing to short against.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #12

Yea I checked them out. They have a Quater inch of clearance and a hole small enough that a wire will not fit in there. (So they claim) pretty smart... hahaha

AlKapone is offline   Reply With Quote