Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
LML

Share |

old lamp--wire question

hi all--first time post!

I have this cool old desk lamp, and the switch was becoming intermittent so I took it apart--the bad way

as I unscrewed things, the wires disconnected before I could see how they were originally attached, and I'm a bit puzzled by what appear to be the connection points

I've attached an image--any tips much appreciated on how to attach these things.

Also--I've been reading that the neutral wire should be identified by some ridges or another marking, and I can't find anything on my cord, except a continuous seam along one of the sides--and I doubt this is what I'm looking for...

Thanks!

LML
Attached Thumbnails
old lamp--wire question-wire-diagram-sm.jpg  

LML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #2

old lamp--wire question

I don't see any clue how they attach. Perhaps the other half is more telling?

Regarding which-to-which, I prefer positive (line, power, ungrounded conductor, etc..) to the center tab. This appears to be the top connection on the picture. Putting power on the center tab reduces accidental chance of shock, in my mind. Do you have a voltmeter to identify the hot conductor?

Sometimes wires include markings on one conductor to differentiate it from the other. If you can find the conductor that attaches to the wider blade of your plug, you have found the neutral (grounded conductor, I think they call it). The other one should be the supply.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #3

old lamp--wire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
Regarding which-to-which, I prefer positive (line, power, ungrounded conductor, etc..) to the center tab. This appears to be the top connection on the picture. Putting power on the center tab reduces accidental chance of shock, in my mind.
This isn't a matter of preference, and isn't just in your mind. Code defines this. Center terminal is hot. End of story.

As stated, identify the wider blade of the plug, that goes to the outer terminal.

I'd say your socket came apart in a way that rendered it fubar. You need a new one.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

old lamp--wire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
...Also--I've been reading that the neutral wire should be identified by some ridges or another marking, and I can't find anything on my cord, except a continuous seam along one of the sides--and I doubt this is what I'm looking for...

Thanks!

LML
That is EXACTLY what you are looking for when identifying the neutral conductor. A continuous ridge on the outside of the conductor!!

That wire would connect to the outer shell of a lamp socket.

I believe that those wires were originally spot-welded or soldered somehow to the brass strips inside of that socket.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #5

old lamp--wire question

According to your picture, the top metal strip is hot, the bottom metal strip is neutral.

A switch built into the socket bridges the top strip with the middle strip. The middle strip touches the bottom of the light bulb.

You may be able to solder the wires onto the metal strips (at the spots where your yellow arrows touch) but you need to be careful that the strip with the blob of solder still fits in the socket and you don't melt the plastic socket shell while soldering.

Better quality sockets have a metal shell into which the bulb screws, rather than the plastic threaded area.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-13-2010 at 07:17 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
LML

old lamp--wire question

great responses--thanks everyone

this cord has a plug w/ identical prongs, so I can't use that for identifying the wires (and I don't have a tester) but the seam on the cord sounds like the indicator I am looking for

will have to dig out my soldering iron sounds like

LML
LML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #7

old lamp--wire question

If you plug has identical prongs, then it is not polarized, and it probably matters not which wires go where. The proper polarization of your socket would be based on which way it is plugged in, which is a 50/50 chance it is wrong.

You may want to consider replacing the plug as well, it is pretty inexpensive insurance against a potential shock.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote