Old House New Problems - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old house new problems

We are giving the kitchen a facelift and I am trying to replace the old electrical gang boxes and switches. This is an old house so there are no ground wires in any of the boxes, unfortunately we can not afford to update the electrical at this time. Here is my problem: in a double gang box I have the power supply line with three wires, they are all the same color, two wires coming in from the light in the hall, again the wires are the same color, and two more wires coming in that somehow connect the power to the second floor, the wires are the same color. The previous wiring was so mangled I couldn't really see how everything was wired. I need to install two switches one controls the light in the hall, one controls the light in the basement and somehow keep power going to the upstairs. Any ideas?

Advertisement

eckomonger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Old house new problems

to figure out which wire goes where (when the color of the wire doesn't help) I use a long wire to test continuity (with the power off of course)

Connect the one end of the wire to one of the wires in the lights and then drag the other end to mystery junction box. Start checking for continuit until you can figure out which wire goes wher. Then make sure you label them.

Advertisement

daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #3

Old house new problems

thanks for the tip daxinarian, i will remember that one next time. i didn't have a chance to be online yesterday and so i didn't see your reply until today, a friend of a friend who is an electrician took a peek and got everything hooked up!
eckomonger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #4

Old house new problems

an easier way is to connect one wire to box and see if you have continuity with other side.ie ground blk wire and test other side see if you have continuity with wire and grnd if yes thats the same wire no need to drag an external wire around
Mightyidi is offline   Reply With Quote