Old Electrics & New Light Fitting - Please Help! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Old electrics & new light fitting - please help!

Hi there

I have been having a rather frustrating time(or amusing depends where you sit).

I bought a new ceiling light from Ikea and am trying to fit it to the old electrics. From the ceiling I have two live wires (red) two neutral wires (black) and two earth wires (yellow and green). On my light fitting I have one live (brown) and one neutral (blue) only.

Please can someone explain how I should connect these up.

I've tried connecting the live wires with the live wires and the neutral with the neautral and wrapping the earth wires in insulation tape? But this caused a wee fire works display and burnt out the fuse.)

Any suggestions please?

Thanks very much!

Advertisement

melreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by melreed View Post
Any suggestions please?
Call an electrician...sparks = bad.

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

One of the hot wires goes to the switch and returns using a neutral. This is the hard way to check it.Connect one neutral and one hot and see if the light works if not switch the hots and try again if not switch the neutral etc. until you find the hot and neutral. What is left goes to the switch. Those two you connect the neutral to the hot wire on light and the hot from the switch to hot supply. The easy way is buy a $3 tester and find the hot and neutral. The wires going to the switch always switch the hot leg never the neutral.Ground connects to the light chassis.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazinCR View Post
One of the hot wires goes to the switch and returns using a neutral. This is the hard way to check it.Connect one neutral and one hot and see if the light works if not switch the hots and try again if not switch the neutral etc. until you find the hot and neutral. What is left goes to the switch. Those two you connect the neutral to the hot wire on light and the hot from the switch to hot supply. The easy way is buy a $3 tester and find the hot and neutral. The wires going to the switch always switch the hot leg never the neutral.Ground connects to the light chassis.
The neutral plays no part in switching the light. White sometimes is used as the switch leg and should be marked accordingly.

The OP must be out of country as we do not use black for neutrals in branch circuits in the US.

I would suggest he get a meter and check each wire in the ceiling box to determine which is the hot, switch leg and neutral. By turning the switch on and off he will eventually see what wires will control the light.

And why the OP once again does not mark or record the way the old light fixture was connected, is why he cannot figure out how to replace it.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light fitting , old house