Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Old bx cable - Romex, tv humming

I just replaced a section of old bx cable from the electric panel into a plug box in the living room, I am remodeling a room and had access to the open wall. the walls are closed in the living room and can't replace the bx to the end of the line. I used 12/2 romex wire, grounded it to the box and the plug. The bx is grounded through the connection to the box. Since I replaced the wire, I am getting a slight hum and slow horizontal line on the TV in the living room. Does anyone have any idea what might be cause it??

Ensueno76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

Check the grounding on the coax first. Also, are you talking antenna for the tv signal, satellite, Verizon Fios, ATT U-Verse, CATV provider? Second would be improper ground. Is the panel in the home still a fuse panel, or is it a breaker panel. Really need you to place location in your profile, or just state, along with the age of the home.

If the coax was properly installed to the home by your catv provider, and that the electrical system, regardless if it is older armored or newer romex, if it was properly installed, you should not have a ground loop problem, which it sounds like.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The home was build in1949 it has a square d panel with breakers its in new york and the tv signal comes from cablevision
Ensueno76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

I would be checking for proper ground bonding, and that the catv is properly grounded at the ground block. If still getting humming, then there is that possibility, that you have voltage on the line causing the problem, and would have to measure on the coax for it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote