DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is it okay to run 4-0 cable 440ft with 200amp service panel

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jr67z 
#1 ·
Hi to all and thanks in advance for the replies to my question...sorry if I don't know the lingo yet. I have a 200amp service panel in my new house that is connected with 440 ft 4-0 wire to the meter which has a 80 amp breaker on a 15kva farm service. Is this 4-0 big enough for the load? Even though I have a 200amp service panel in the house the wire should only have to handle a max of 80 amps right?? Will this meet code? I am from Alberta, Canada. One electrician wants to add junction boxes to bring down the size of the wire into the house and have the main service panel at only 100 amps since that is all the wire can handle over 440ft. Again thanks to all that have input.

#3 · (Edited)
You don't have to go out and buy another panel. In fact you can run the 4/0 cables right into the panel if they fit into the main breaker.

You could leave the existing 80 amp breaker out at the meter and pole transformer secondary or you could up that breaker to 100 amps which would incur at most a 5% voltage drop (at maximum load) as stated above for a copper feeder (or 7% for an aluminum feeder). That breaker would limit the whole system to that amperage.

The 4/0 feeder will take a full 200 amps safely despite its length since the voltage drop and amount of heat gneerated per foot would be the same as with a shorter feeder. But due to the higher total voltage drop at 200 amps, there is no use in upping the breaker at the pole transformer that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.