Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Okay to cover live wired recessed housing with cabinet?

We have a 2' deep soffit over our kitchen cabinets, all of which are 1' deep. Recessed lights are installed in the extra 1' of soffit depth, the part that hangs out past the cabinets.

One of the recessed lights is over the refrigerator, but we are planning to install a 2' deep cabinet over that area (above the refrigerator). Is it okay to just remove the trim kit and the bulb and cover the live wired housing with the new cabinet, or will that pose a fire hazard? I can go into the attic and remove the wiring from that one light if I have to, but it's on the edge of the house where the roof slopes down, so I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. I don't want to create an unsafe situation, though.

Thanks in advance for your advice and insights!

Jungle Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

You can't permanently cover live conductors. However, you can (or can have someone) go to the previous light and disconnect the wiring that feeds the last (assuming it is the last) fixture.

If you can get that accomplished, feel free to cover the (now) dead wiring with whatever you like.

EDIT:

Should have finished reading....sorry....

If there is attic above it, go up and disconnect it from the light, put it into a box facing into, and accessible from, the attic. Then remove whatever you need/want to of the light fixture and cover it up.......as long as you can get to it from the attic, you're fine.

Last edited by jproffer; 12-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jproffer For This Useful Post:
Big Stud (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Okay, that's what I figured. I'll crawl up there and take care of it. Thanks for the feedback!
Jungle Jim is offline   Reply With Quote