Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ok to use a double-gang box for one switch?

I've got a new space that I'm adding some circuits to. I want to be able to expand the electrical boxes within this space in the future as new needs arise. And I've been reading that adding on to existing boxes in finished walls is a nightmare.

Would there be anything not-to-code (NEC) or otherwise ill-advised about using a double-gang box for a single switch? - what I was thinking was to install one switch on one side of the box, then sheetrock over the unused half and put a single-gang-box wallplate over the switch? This way once finished it looks like normal, single switch and in the future all that would be needed to add another switch to the box would be to remove the faceplate, cut the sheetrock from the unused half of the box, add the new switch and put on a 2-switch faceplate.

Any problem with this approach?

Thanks,

peeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

I would have trouble with you sheetrocking over the open part of the box. They make covers that are blank on one side and switch or recepticle on the other. What do you think your future plans might be that you would need a 2 gang box?

Old 08-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan
I would have trouble with you sheetrocking over the open part of the box. They make covers that are blank on one side and switch or recepticle on the other. What do you think your future plans might be that you would need a 2 gang box?
I was just trying to leave it expandable. I can think of maybe adding another switch to connect to a switched outlet somewhere down the line or something like that. Why couldn't I just sheetrock over half of it rather than using a plastic cover - would it be a fire hazard?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #4

Yes, fire hazard. In any case, you couldn't sheetrock over half, as the box is supposed to protrude thru the sheetrock, so that it is flush with the surface.

You *could* use a single mudring on a 4"Sq box, then in the future, carefully cut the ring back out and use a double, but you'd probably have to refinish around the box, as you'd probably end up removing more sheetrock than the wallplate will cover.
Sportbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #5

Interesting... Ok, good thoughts - thanks for your help!