DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ok to run wiring between strapping in the ceiling?

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bonus 
#1 ·
I just had an electrician run a subpanel for me in an unfinished space and I noticed something he did which got me thinking. He ran a thick wire (whatever gauge is req'd for a 100amp subpanel) along the ceiling joints between the 3/4" strapping. He told me I'd need to put an additional layer of strapping on top of the existing strapping to get adequate thickness between the joist and the sheetrock to accomodate that thick wire. Now my question is - can I run 14 or 12 gauge wire in the same fashion between the ceiling strapping? I've got some places to put outlets where it would be MUCH easier to run wire along the ceiling than to drill holes through the studs. But I wonder if this is to code (NEC). Anybody know the answer?

Thanks,

#2 ·
Some terms are regional and strapping is a new one to me, (and i've beeen around for a while). In my opinoion the code books , including but not limited to the NEC, use poetic license when comming up with terminology when some plain English would be better served. I'll be watching your thread to get straightened out on this one. Good post! HS.

#3 ·
Ok - sorry for the lack of explanation, the term "strapping" (at least around these parts) means 3/4" x 3" strips of wood which are nailed perpendicular to the ceiling joists. It is these pieces of wood that the sheetrock is attached to.

#6 ·
Where I am, Canada, but it's probably similar in the states, all wires have to 1-1/4" back from the face of a framing member to avoid being hit by nails/screws. Mechanical protection can be used if they have to be in harms way. Hopefully your subpanel feed is armored, or I suspect it won't pass. Think about it, miss the strapping by a little with a drywall screw and your gonna be well connected to the panel!:eek: Drilling holes in the joists is no big deal, just keep them near the middle so they don't weaken the member.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.