Is It OK To Run Hotwire Through Single Pole Switch? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is it OK to run hotwire through single pole switch?

I am adding a light to a pole. Because of where the switch is and some wires that are already in place it would be most simple to run the hot wire through the single pole switch rather than the common. I am no expert but from reading I see that generally the common is routed through the switch. I seem to recall from my high-school electricity/electronics class that either the hot wire or the common can be routed through the switch since all it does is complete the circuit when it is closed? Is this correct? I hope so because it will make my wiring much more simple. Thanks very much for any input!! It's at my home, 120 service, of course I am also running a ground wire.

Advertisement

TFastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFastle View Post
I am adding a light to a pole. Because of where the switch is and some wires that are already in place it would be most simple to run the hot wire through the single pole switch rather than the common. I am no expert but from reading I see that generally the common is routed through the switch. I seem to recall from my high-school electricity/electronics class that either the hot wire or the common can be routed through the switch since all it does is complete the circuit when it is closed? Is this correct? I hope so because it will make my wiring much more simple. Thanks very much for any input!! It's at my home, 120 service, of course I am also running a ground wire.
ONLY the hot wire should be connected to a switch, never (in a dwelling) the neutral.

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks House Helper. I assume it does not matter which side of the switch the light is on or the supply? Also, on the switch I have, one side of it is labeled "common", why is that or what is meant by that? Sorry to be so dumb about this. I did pull the plate and look a similar set up and indeed the single pole switch only had a hot in and a hot out and a ground. Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFastle View Post
Thanks House Helper. I assume it does not matter which side of the switch the light is on or the supply? Also, on the switch I have, one side of it is labeled "common", why is that or what is meant by that? Sorry to be so dumb about this. I did pull the plate and look a similar set up and indeed the single pole switch only had a hot in and a hot out and a ground. Thanks again!
If you have a switch with a common screw, then you have a 3 way switch.

You can use this as a single pole switch, but you have a 50/50 chance of having an upside down switch.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #5

ahhh... that makes sense. Okay, I am good to go. Sure appreciate the help JBFan and Househelper! Time to get to work. Thanks again!

Tags
common wire , hot wire , switch