DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

From Oil Boiler to Electric Boiler

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  zonamez 
#1 ·
Switching to Electric Base Board Heaters

Hi,
I just bought a triplex with central heating and would like to put electric base board heaters in the lower unit, however, I am getting conflicting opinions from electricians as to whether I have to increase the incoming amperage from 100 to 200 in order to feed these new baseboard heaters. The unit is 1,200 square feet. Any thoughts or guidance is deeply appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi,
I just bought a triplex and need to change the oil burning furnace to an electric boiler. I have 200 amp coming to the panel, but I am getting conflicting opinions as to whether putting in a 24kw electric boiler will exceed the 200 amps currently in place. The total square footage to heat is 2,400. Aside from the standard electrical units in a home I have a 20kw forced air heating system that serves the solarium (which does not use the oil/electric boiler). Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

#4 ·
So you have a triplex, with an existing 20kW heater, and you want to add a 24kW boiler, to a 200A service???
That alone more than maxes out the service, with no other loads.

WHY in the world would you want to replace an oil boiler with all electric??? Someone was a good salesman I assume.

#5 ·
What other loads are on the unit?
Do you want to do ALL electric baseboards?
Is this in addition to the 24kW boiler you are asking about in the other thread?

#7 ·
Hi,
I just bought a triplex with central heating and would like to put electric base board heaters in the lower unit, however, I am getting conflicting opinions from electricians as to whether I have to increase the incoming amperage from 100 to 200 in order to feed these new baseboard heaters. The unit is 1,200 square feet. Any thoughts or guidance is deeply appreciated.
Ayuh,... In yer other thread, you've already got a 200 amp entrance, so which is it,..??

#14 ·
Sorry for the confusion. These were meant to be two separate posts.

Issue #1- The lower unit (which is still being centrally heated with an oil furnace hydronic system ,i.e. oil heats the water which circulates to heat all 3 units with hydronic radiators) is 1,200 square feet. I will be capping the radiators and putting in electric heating in the lower unit. The electric panel panel in the lower unit has a 100 amp service. The other loads on this panel would be electric water heater, electric stove, electric dryer and all the other standard goods (lights, outlets, etc.). The lower unit is empty to do the work. Is 100 amps enough to supply electric heating in this lower unit plus all the other mentioned loads?

Issue #2 - The main floor & upper floor (each 1,200 square feet) also use this same oil furnace. I want to keep the hydronic radiators on the main floor and may need to keep them on the upper unit as well seeing as how it is currently rented. It would seem in order to maintain the same amount of BTU's a 24kw electric boiler is required for 2,400 square feet (both the main and upper units). This electric boiler would be on the main panel which has a 200 amp service. The other loads on this panel is a 20kw forced air system (to heat the solarium belonging to the main floor), electric water heater, electric stove, electric dryer and all the other standard goods (lights, outlets, etc.). Is 200 amps enough to supply all these loads?

I live in Montreal, Canada. The government provides 90% subsidies to convert and the kw/h rate is +/-45% cheaper than heating oil.

Thanks for all your posts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.