On And Off Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
ab1

Rewards Points: 10

on and off switch

I have a add on new yorker wood boiler that i have connected to a burnham oil boiler. The control on the oil boiler is a honeywell R8182 combination control. My question is how do i connect a switch to the control on the oil boiler so that de honeywell controller is on but my oil burner is off.
Thank you

Advertisement

ab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

on and off switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1 View Post
I have a add on new yorker wood boiler that i have connected to a burnham oil boiler. The control on the oil boiler is a honeywell R8182 combination control. My question is how do i connect a switch to the control on the oil boiler so that de honeywell controller is on but my oil burner is off.
Thank you
Check the literature for the controller to be sure, but I think you can use the ZC and ZR terminals to control a relay. You would have to get a DPDT relay and use one set of the contacts to open and close the switch circuit on the oil boiler. In other words, when the controller is active, it would energize the relay and open the circuit to the oil boiler.

Advertisement

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
ab1

Rewards Points: 10

on and off switch

i have talk to a plumber and he toll me i could put a on an off switch on the eye that see if the burner is flaming or not he told me to take one of the wire that are plug in T T and connect it to a switch. The only probleme is that T T is weir my home thermostat is connect and not the eye. Where the eye is connected it's call CELL i believe can i put a switch on The eye. I need my R8182D controller on all the time because my add on wood boiler us the same thermostat as my oil boiler and they are both connected at the same place on T T
ab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

on and off switch

It seems to me that you want the thermostat to control the heat of either furnace!
If the wood furnace is burning, the thermostat should be disconnected from the oil furnace.
If the wood furnace burns out, the oil would take over.

To do this,it would require a thermostat on the wood furnace that would operate a transfer relay to switch the house thermostat from one to the other.

Or as suggested, the wood thermostat could open the flame detector wiring to prevent the oil burner from functioning!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote