Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #1

Share |

OESC ques re. bathroom receptacles

Hey everyone,

Long story short, friend had a contractor build him a basement bathroom some years ago, but it was totally built wrong with several code violations, and it has no receptacle. He asked me if I could install a receptacle for him.

The Ontario Electrical Safety Code is always changing, and I'm not up to speed on what the current rules and regs are regarding bathroom receptacles.

The guy's bathroom has the electrical feed line come in at the light switch, and then a second wire run from the switch up across the ceiling and to a light fixture above the mirror on the opposite wall. Everything done with #14 wire, all powered from a simple 15A circuit breaker. Easiest way to add a receptacle would be to install a second box near the light switch, and fit it with a 15A GFCI receptacle.

However, I'm not sure if this is permitted. My thoughts:
-The shower stall is right up on the opposite side of the door; is a door's width enough spacing? What's the minimum distance a receptacle must be from a shower?
-Is it permissible to have the receptacle on the wall opposite of the mirror and sink? Or must the receptacle be at the sink/mirror?
-Can the receptacle share the lighting circuit?

Other things that the previous contractor screwed up:
-The light switch interrupted the neutral, not the live conductors. (I have since fixed that.)
-The light switch box and ground conductors, although connected, seem to be floating relative to earth ground. (Dangerous!!!) I have no idea where the power feed comes from, so I have not found the location of the ground fault yet.
-The light fixture is merely bolted to a pair of drywall anchors, with no metal junction box; the electrical connections are hanging loose inside the wall cavity.
-The ground wire of the switched line is not properly connected to the light fixture; it's merely "pinched" between the wall and the back of the fixture.

electronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronguy View Post
and then a second wire run from the switch up across the ceiling and to a light fixture above the mirror on the opposite wall.
do you actually have wires(individual conductors) travelling across the ceiling or is it a cable(romex). If it is just individual conductors there is a more serious issue.
Attached Thumbnails
OESC ques re. bathroom receptacles-romex.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by hammerlane; 09-24-2012 at 05:54 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
do you actually have wires(individual conductors) travelling across the ceiling or is it a cable(romex). If it is just individual conductors there is a more serious issue.
Ah, I guess I should have been more specific.
It is romex cable.
The cable that supplies the power comes first to the light switch box. Then a second (romex) cable emerges from that box and runs towards the light fixture on the opposite wall.
Inside the light switch box, the two live conductors (black) used to be connected together with a wire nut, while the two neutrals (white) were on the switch terminals, but I have since swapped that.
The two ground conductors are properly bolted to the box, but there was no conductivity from the box to the water pipes when I checked with my meter (set to ohms test). (The pipes are copper, and with the meter set to AC V, it reads about 118 V between the live conductor and the water pipes. So the pipes are indeed grounded.)
electronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #4

The receptacle where practicable shall be located at least 1m but in no case less than 500mm from the bathtub or shower stall(26-710(g)). The width of the door should be enough.
The code requires a receptacle within 1m of the wash basin(26-710(f)). Once you have that one more can be added anywhere else.
Receptacle can share the lighting circuit or any other circuit as long as you don't exceed the 12 outlet per circuit rule.