Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Odd electrical issue

I'll try to make this as short as possible.

I've had the same setup in my garage for 8 years.
50amp 240v to a sub panel in the garage. Several 20amp 120v circuits running off of it.

My compressor just "quit" working about 2 weeks ago. It was cheap and 8 years old, so I figured it just gave up. Bought a new compressor, plugged it in and the same thing happened, motor spun very slowly, wasn't working. Eventually the breaker kicked off.

I started up my generator, plugged the compressor in, and it ran like a champ. Obviously something wrong with the electric.

Thinking there might be a short somewhere in the garage, I kicked all the breakers off except one that was dedicated to a single plug. No luck.

I tried a plug off the other 120v circuit, same problem.

I pulled the cover off the panel and tested the voltage on each side and they were 120v. I tested the 240v connections, and they were correct. I made sure all connections were tight.

All the lights, garage door opener, forced air heater, etc still work without issue.

I'm thinking maybe there's a ground problem, but not really sure how I'd go about testing that.

Any other ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks

hedkrashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 160

Odd electrical issue

Is the compressor 120 vac or 240 vac? If 240, you may have a bad outlet. If 120 or the 240 you may have a bad plug. a loose connection in the plug may have made contect when on generator power.

bernie963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Odd electrical issue

Compressor is 120v - but after a chat with my neighbor (who's lived here 20 years longer than I have) I think I've found the culprit.

Evidently 15 some years ago, the guy who owned my house worked for the city. He came across some aluminum jacketed COAX cable (the stuff they used to use to carry television signals from pole to pole).

He decided that it was good enough to wire the garage with. Looking at the cable, it really looks like the old "underground" lead jacketed cable, but my neighbor (an electrical engineer) pointed out the differences.

As soon as I said something about a power problem, the neighbor knew exactly what it was. The line is slightly split somewhere between the house and garage. It's contacted enough to run low amp stuff (lights/garage door opener/etc) but not enough to run a high amp circuit.

Looks like I've got a spring project - digging up the old cable and burying real electrical cable.

I really hate the half ass approach the previous owner took to everything.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Odd electrical issue

COAX ?

Do you have pictures of this coax entering the sub-panel ?? I'd love to have that posted to the forum.

If your talking about something like RG-6 which style did he use from the images below. Regardless this was pretty close to dumber than dumb.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-26-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Odd electrical issue

Pole to pole coax for cable distribution is about the size of a really fat thumb. Maybe 1" diameter. Much larger than RG-6. Still a very stupid practice.
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #6

Odd electrical issue

it's the thick stuff - not in house COAX - will try to remember to take some pics next time I'm in the garage.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Odd electrical issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmran View Post
Pole to pole coax for cable distribution is about the size of a really fat thumb. Maybe 1" diameter. Much larger than RG-6. Still a very stupid practice.
Thanks for the correction . I'm not familiar with it and missed the pole to pole part.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,196

Odd electrical issue

The pole to pole stuff has an aluminum jacket and a center core about 1/8" in diameter. They are separated by a foam. IIRC it was called something like RG11.

It real pain to work with. One kink in the sheath and you had to start over. It compromised the signal too much. To terminate it you used a coring tool to cut the foam away from the inner conductor. I wonder how they make the connections to a breaker.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Odd electrical issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The pole to pole stuff has an aluminum jacket and a center core about 1/8" in diameter. They are separated by a foam. IIRC it was called something like RG11.

It real pain to work with. One kink in the sheath and you had to start over. It compromised the signal too much. To terminate it you used a coring tool to cut the foam away from the inner conductor. I wonder how they make the connections to a breaker.

And the rec/plug.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,004

Odd electrical issue

If you can find the idiot that did this work, kick him in the ribs once for me. What a hack.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote