Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Odd ceiling fan problem

I've had an on-off problems with two of my ceiling fans (different makers, one hunter and one minka). Wired differently too, the minka one is controlled by a wall remote control, and the hunter one by two wired wall switches).

Every now and then, for no reason, the fan will stop working. It may stop working for a day, a week, whatever.. then start working again for a month or even a year. When this happens, the light kit on both fans still works (on the minka, the light kit and fan are on the same line, separated in the fan by the remote control receiver. On the hunter, it's two different wires going into the fan.).

It stumps me.. I'll just turn the fan on one day, it will spin a little bit, then stop. Nothing gets it to work. I can hear a small hum in its motor, like it's getting power, but it won't spin. Then a week later I may accidentally turn it on again and it will run. Two and three years ago I had repeated on/off problems with both fans. Last year, both worked perfectly the entire year. This year one of them has started acting up again.

Any hints would be appreciated.

injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Odd ceiling fan problem

Check the reversing switch.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

Odd ceiling fan problem

I wish it was that easy. It does not seem to be affected by the reverse switch, I flipped it and jiggled it (actually, the Minka does not have any switches or pull cords -- it's electronically controlled from the remote -- but the Hunter does).

Last night after I wrote the question, I turned the hunter back on and it started to move and stopped again. It never got to full speed. This morning it worked fine. Then in the afternoon i turned it on again, it worked for about 20 minutes then stopped.

When I turn it at the top speed, i feel the motor vibrating, but it doesn't start spinning. Does this mean anything?

This is very similar to two years ago when I had the problem and almost replaced it, then it decided to work for an entire year with no problems.

If it matters, this fan is about 4-5 years old, it's a Hunter 20527 model.
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Odd ceiling fan problem

Have you checked the motor control board for any obvious things
like loose wire, loose components, burnt components ???
otherwise could be faulty electronics or even faulty motor.
Might be easier and cheaper to just replace it !
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #5

Odd ceiling fan problem

is anything else acting strange in the house when it happens? either way u could have a prob in the neutral somehow, mayb loose joints in canopy? not sure y itd only b in two fans and nothin else. they might share the neutral, if so ive had issues with the receivers in the canopy getting interference. maybe its the switches simply goin bad. it may take a minute to find the problem but it could only b so many things. can u verify 120v in fan canopy? with fan switch off take the joints apart and turn on switch, verify 120 present, if so turn off switch and tie fan leads back (no wirenuts just spiral it on) turn switch on and verify 120 still present under load. if it is id say try new fan and cut ur losses. if it dips anywhere less than 105 uve got a neut prob.
parteeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #6

Odd ceiling fan problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by injvstice View Post
I've had an on-off problems with two of my ceiling fans (different makers, one hunter and one minka). Wired differently too, the minka one is controlled by a wall remote control, and the hunter one by two wired wall switches).

Every now and then, for no reason, the fan will stop working. It may stop working for a day, a week, whatever.. then start working again for a month or even a year. When this happens, the light kit on both fans still works (on the minka, the light kit and fan are on the same line, separated in the fan by the remote control receiver. On the hunter, it's two different wires going into the fan.).

It stumps me.. I'll just turn the fan on one day, it will spin a little bit, then stop. Nothing gets it to work. I can hear a small hum in its motor, like it's getting power, but it won't spin. Then a week later I may accidentally turn it on again and it will run. Two and three years ago I had repeated on/off problems with both fans. Last year, both worked perfectly the entire year. This year one of them has started acting up again.

Any hints would be appreciated.

I would remove these controllers and just install a single pole toggle switch for temporary testing purposes. If the fans work fine then, its a controller issue. If not, its fan motor/wiring.

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote