Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #1

Share |

Number of junction boxes on a branch circuit

Hi,
I am replacing the old k-n-t wiring in my home. Currently I am rewiring the outlets on my first floor as well as adding new ones to comply with current code.
The ceiling of my basement is unfinished so I have very easy access to the existing wiring as well to make new runs (there are some obstructions such as ductwork and plumbing of course).
My question is this:

Is there a limit to how many junction boxes can be used on a circuit/run?

I'm thinking it will be easier to just drop the wire from each receptacle straight down into the basement into a junction box that is directly below each one. I will then run the connecting wires between all the junction boxes.
Since I am primarily doing this myself without help, this seems like the easiest solution.
If there aren't any code restrictions on this are there any practical limitations or reasons not to do this?

Thanks,
Jason
j_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

No restrictions on the number of JBs other than it increases the cost. Make sure the JBs are large enough for the number of conductors you plan.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
I=E/R

Place one large JB under each room and feed it with power then run a cable to each location that will have a receptacle. You will have to watch the box fill and the number of wires that end up under a wire nut.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Master Electrician

The only issue would be if you are planning to finish the basement in the future the boxes must remain accessible.

As an additional thought, since you must fish cable into the wall anyway why not just go box to box instead of extra boxes in the basement. Fishing the walls is the hard part, not roping the cable between wall box locations.

Last edited by brric; 07-13-2011 at 08:52 AM.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
j_sun (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
The only issue would be if you are planning to finish the basement in the future the boxes must remain accessible.

As an additional thought, since you must fish cable into the wall anyway why not just go box to box instead of extra boxes in the basement. Fishing the walls is the hard part, not roping the cable between wall box locations.
Brric - Thanks. I will be doing that as much as I can. The issue is that I'm doing most of this work at night after the kids are in bed so it is hard to get someone to help that late at night. There is one particular corner of the basement where going outlet-to-outlet will be pretty difficult. (It's hard to explain). I just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any limitations.

Thanks everyone!
j_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Licensed Pro

If you can fish one wire up to a receptacle, you should be able to fish two (in/out). Easiest way is to cut out the existing box, fish the wires, then install an old work box in the existing hole.
j_sun (07-13-2011)