Novice Needs Electrical Finder Advice - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Novice needs electrical finder advice

Hello. I'm screwing hardibacker board onto a plaster wall. I am a novice homeowner just trying not to get electricuted. I borrowed a zircon multiscanner from a neighbor and it only picks up electrical wires in places that I know they are located about 60% of the time. Now I don't trust this tool and was hoping there is a better tool for less than $100 that you could recommend that will find electric wire or live voltage through a wall. Thank you for your help.
Alisha

Advertisement

agamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by agamm View Post
...hoping there is a better tool for less than $100 that you could recommend that will find electric wire or live voltage through a wall. Thank you for your help.
Logical deduction. Detective work.
Generally the only time you'll have wire in a wall is if it needs to be there..
and then it usually comes from something else thats needed. Follow?

In a typical room... the several receptacles at 18-24" above the floor will be fed by the same wire which passes through that wall at about 30"...
(sometimes the wire will go up from then back down to the basement level)

some ideas & examples here: http://bit.ly/AhUN39

hth

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #3

Thanks -if that same logic applied in 1920, then I'm good. Someone also suggested that if I have small enough nails and use several of them, they won't go all the way through the plaster to where the wire possibly resides. I already put liquid nails all over the back of the boards as well. I believe that my wiring is similar to the pictures that you directed me to from watching a contractor in my bathroom, but I have lost my nerve for now.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Yeah those Zircon scanners are junk in my opinion. i also never fully trust what it's telling me.
Awhile ago i bought a Bosch wall scanner that detects wood, magnetic metals, non magnetic metals and live conductors as deep as 5-6" and i love it, but they are pricey. I paid about $150 in Canada so probably around $100-$125 if you are in the states.
Not really sure it;s worth the price tag if you aren;t using it alot.

Also because of the potential unevenness of plaster you may get more accurate results from your scanner if you put a very thin peice of a somewhat rigid cardboard in between your scanner and the wall so that all the scanners contact points remain on the wall while scanning.
That's what the Bosch wall scanner instructions suggest atleast.

Logical deduction may be your best bet if this is sort of a one time thing.
MitNotrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Thank you. After all of this, it is definitely a one time thing! I'm just going to have to decide if I want to pay the money to use a decent scanner one time, run the other scanner 100 times over the same place to feel more comfortable, buy shorter nails and hope they hold up and the drill doesn't hit anything anyway, load up on enough liquid courage to convince myself I'm an electrical wiring detective and risk my life or house burning down, or call someone who will criticize or point out flaws with unrelated work so far before just telling me where the electrical wires are located, and pay said person a lot of money to find out there are no wires and I overreacted. This is fun! I'm being cynical of course and am obviously a bit jaded, but I do appreciate you for taking the time to respond. Thanks.