Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Share |

Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work

Hi Guys,
Looking for advise..Had some remodeling to our kitchen and baths, job was completed about a month ago. In one of the baths they forgot to replace the A/C vent ( I can understand how that could happen) So I went up to install the old ducting left in the attic. No Problem

While up there I was surprised to find several problems.

1.) Stove hood vent not sealed at the roof line, they ran the tube wild just under the roof vent.

2.) The A/C ducting they T'd off of was taped with plain old duck tape..the kind that deteriorate's after about 6 months, not the good aluminium tape.

3.) All the electrical boxes they tied into for the new cans..they just left open with wires exposed.

These were not the only problems..just the most recent. Im sure they never thought I would go up there and see this work..I don't want these guys who would leave this type of work coming back and fixing it.

My question's...the vent should be sealed right? I know the ducting is wrong.

Do I post on angies list...request he pay for another ducting contractors to fix their lazy work? Someone who would would leave work like this..I dont want them back.

Here are some pics. Thanks for any help, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-my-design-remodel-attic-work-006.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-my-design-remodel-attic-work-003.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-my-design-remodel-attic-work-020.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-my-design-remodel-attic-work-008.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-my-design-remodel-attic-work-018.jpg  

Ca Homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I am not a fan of Angie's List since it lacks any sort of real moderation or way of checking out the postings. Too many people on it come off as whiners and with no real knowledge of what they are complaining about.

You should give the contractor a chance to fix the work or at least get his/her reaction to your plan to hire someone else. Most all you showed may be the work of sub-contractors. The GC for the project should have checked their work but obviously did not. You may find him/her more than willing to remedy things and make it right for you rather than risk you Yelping, Angie's Listing or otherwise blasting him in public forums.

None of your concerns and observations are out of line by the way. The boxes should be covered. The vents should be tied in and I know you cannot use duct tape for duct work in California.

Is there a chance the covers were left off the boxes for an inspection? The electrician may just have forgotten he did not put the covers on.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

I'd be PO'd if someone did that at my place.

I imagine that they've been paid in full? If so, then your only course of action that I can see is to ask them to finish it off properly. I understand that you don't want them back if they left it like that in first place, but it's pretty easy stuff to remediate, and for you to verify.

I never been involved with Angie's List or anything similar, but if their reputation means anything to them, they'll do the right thing with no hesitation. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising & it goes both ways.

It's always good to have a hold back, with a defined % and period of time, in case anything like this occurs when you sign a contract.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Didn't anyone keep an eye on these jokers? I would be calling them back about the problems you found. If they state no, start making calls to your State Atorney General, and they will start the wheels in motion to change their mind about not completing jobs properly.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
J. V. (06-18-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #5

In my state it's the board of contractors that monitors there work.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
It's always good to have a hold back, with a defined % and period of time, in case anything like this occurs when you sign a contract.
Great to remember.And most responsible contractors will not mind if it is reasonable and materials, appliances and so forth are paid for and it is just about the work being finished.

Other good thing in this is the OP has good pictures. It is pretty hard to argue with them.

However and maybe I am being too nice because I would never leave a job like that shown but I would call the contractor before getting to worked and filing complaints with the attorney general, contractor boards, etc. The first thing they are going to ask anyhow is whether you provided the contractor a chance to remedy what was wrong.

Last edited by user1007; 06-16-2012 at 07:40 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replys..you guys are good. When I hired this licensed contractor..i asked if he was going to be onsite everyday..he said yes.

He would show up in the beginning for an hour or so then leave it in the hands of his foreman..who hired all his ( no easy way to say this ) Illegal alien cousins. Most of the workers I could not even communicate with..

here is an example of work they did..that i made them fix and do right. The first tile guy I fired and made the contractor bring in someone else. (the second job came out great)

Check out some of the other work.
Attached Thumbnails
Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-construction-pics-4-11-006.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-construction-pics-4-11-008.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-shitty-tile-pics-2-016.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-shitty-tile-pics-2-015.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-shitty-tile-pics-2-009.jpg  

Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-shitty-tile-pics-2-007.jpg  

Last edited by Ca Homeowner; 06-16-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
DIY staff

Yikes----All signs of workers with poor skills and training---Embarrassing quality.

I hope you still owe him some money---because I doubt if he has the talent to correct those deficiencies.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #9

When I saw the baseboard above I was stunned. I told the contractor..If they are doing work like this where I can see what are they doing where I cant.

When they put the french doors in..the doors hit the rafters. Dont you think the contractor should know stuff like that? They were made to open out..I suggested flip the door 180 and just have them open in... Im just getting tired of having them constantly fix things that should be done right the first time. Oh..and the paint on the ceiling in the family room is already starting to peel.

Here is a pic of the french door hitting the rafter..Im just tired of these knuckleheads and wouldnt hire these guys for a chicken coop.
Attached Thumbnails
Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-const-pics-eagle-4-18-016.jpg  

Last edited by Ca Homeowner; 06-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #10

Not all the work was bad..all the stuff he subed out came out nice, cabinets, granite. New tile guy
Attached Thumbnails
Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-chris-kitchen-004.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-chris-kitchen-011.jpg   Not Sure How To Handle Contractor's Poor Work-chris-kitchen-002.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ca Homeowner For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-16-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #11

This "contractor" you hired had a license, bonding, insurance? If so contact the Builders Board and the bonding agent. If no license, bond or insurance, you got what you paid for. Tough, I have no sympathy for you at all.

And yes, my work is permitted and inspected.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Nice stove, we have the same one, you will at least be happy with it.( if they hooked up the gas supply)
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
This "contractor" you hired had a license, bonding, insurance? If so contact the Builders Board and the bonding agent. If no license, bond or insurance, you got what you paid for. Tough, I have no sympathy for you at all.

And yes, my work is permitted and inspected.

YES..This contractor is licensed, bonded and insured. Just curious, what will the builders board do? Yes..the work was permitted..guess the L.A. City inspector was to tired to climb into my attic to check the work the day he signed it off.

"Tough, I have no sympathy for you at all." Let me guess your a fireman right? Dont ask me why i think that.

Last edited by Ca Homeowner; 06-17-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca Homeowner View Post
YES..This contractor is licensed, bonded and insured. Just curious, what will the builders board do? Yes..the work was permitted..guess the L.A. City inspector was to tired to climb into my attic to check the work the day he signed it off.

"Tough, I have no sympathy for you at all." Let me guess your a fireman right? Dont ask me why i think that.
Call the board and find out. Ask the inspector if he climbed the ladder you left him. Ask what he acutally looked at and tell him you would like another inspection. You should always be there when the inspection is done. I am. I do not want the inspector touching my work w/o me there.

I spent 20 years in the fire service. I rode the tailboard and was Assistant Chief/Training Officer in a rural volunteer department.

This is what happens when the contractor and inspector do not do their job properly. One of the dead guys and I were shift rounders in a fire department.
His dad and 2 brothers were volunteers. He has a cousin who is a Captain in a paid department. When I am tempted to do hack work, I think about Randy and his family.
http://www.ourfallenbrother.com/sponsors.html
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Yikes the vent pipe from the range hood that need to dealt rightaway due you have gaz stove that the other issue it may arise due I have dealt few Wolf Gaz stove the real commercal verison they will specfied to leave some clearance on the side due it can get very hot.

However for the resdnetail verison I am not too sure but if you did check the manufacter instruction about clearance espcally on the sides of the gaz range.

The electrical that is the other issue that will be addressed right there.

Can you snap a photo of one of the junction box due I want to see what size conductor they have in there.

And save those photo that will back ya up on the issue you have there and show that to the GC and do not pay the rest until the issue is fixed if you did not pay the GC in full yet.

If you did pay in full then still show them the photo to see what they can do and they should fixed properly.

Merci,
Marc