Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

North Carolina Electrician assistance please

Hello,
I acted as my owne GC for a family room addition. All went well until...
An electrician locally was recommended by the person I hired to frame the room.

I spoke to the electrician over the tele and checked out his license online.

When it was time for electrical, two helpers came to initiate the work. I asked if they were licensed and they said no. I called the elect and asked him if he was coming to supervise and he said he would be by.

Days past... and the two men wired the room... did the breaker work and connected the electrical work for a new AC/Heat unit in the attic.

Final electrical inspection came... failed for a couple of small infractions the first time... (not labeling heat unit for circuit capacity and incorrect AC working cover outdoors) Re-inspec found incorrect breaker in garage (too big 50 should have been 30) and incorrect breaker on heat unit.... 50 and max was 40 and would work with 30. Again they had to return.

I called and left messages asking for the licensed electrician to come.... both during the work and after the failing inspections.

Until today have not met the licensed individual.

Secondly, we had agreed to a set price for the electrical work, and when the billing statement arrived he added... about $800.00. I am concerned about the entire practice. I am a licensed professional (registered nurse) who would never let someone work under my license unless I supervised.

I read the governing statutes and it seems the behavior is inappropriate.
I spoke with the framer who recommended him and he said ALL the electricians send helpers in NC.... Is this acceptable??

Thanks for your time.
Fran

buloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

It may not be appropriate, but it is a standard practice for almost all electrical contractors.

It would be quite normal for the only licensed person in the whole company to be the owner. For larger EC's, there may be a few licensed employees, but they are generally foremen running larger jobs.

Some states are more strict in enforcing how closely unlicensed electricians need supervised. Some do require that a licensed person be bodily on the job while electrical work is being informed. North Carolina has not traditionally been so strict, even if such rules exist.

It seems that the problems you are experiencing are related more to poor management by the owner of the company. All of these issues, while certainly violations, would have been addressed more promptly and with greater after-the-violation supervision by the owner of a better managed outfit.

While it seems that you may have a genuine complaint against the EC, I see you have two options. Let him correct the deficiencies and then you can just choose to never use him again. I suspect the next electrician you call in the future may well send an unlicensed man to your house to perform the work. OR, you can report him. You need to personally evaluate exactly how pissed off you are. My wife is a nurse, so I understand your viewpoint. You are shocked. I am an electrical contractor, so I have that perspective as well.

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Red face

Thanks for the insight to the electrician's standards!! Yes I like your wife am shocked! I would have hoped that the electrician would have at least come and shook my hand and met me... and later checked up on the 2 workers when they failed the inspection the first time.

It simply had delayed the final mechanical and building inspections. They are done by different inspectors in NC... (or at least in this county!!)

The other thing that got to me was the extra $800.00 he charged me... We had a detailed conversation and I did not waiver in any way from that conversation... and yet had a huge amount added. Even the gentleman who recommended him was amazed.

I am almost ready to report the two offenses (at least they are offenses to me!! <smile>) ... I think the electrician needs to learn about customer service kindness and good busisness standards.

Oh well... just my opinion.
Thanks so much for your post.
Happy Holidays
buloni is offline   Reply With Quote