DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   noob here with noob questions.. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/noob-here-noob-questions-17896/)

tristan 03-02-2008 10:18 AM

noob here with noob questions..
 
Hello everybody! This is my first time on this forum. I'm from the super bike forums. I'm an experienced industrial mechanic so I'm fairly capable. Unfortunately I know little about household electricity. Just barely the basics. I need to add a new 240v breaker to my box for a new heater. I have 2 slots left on the bottom, just enough for a double pole. I was thinking around 1500 or so watts on a 20 amp breaker would be would be ok?

Also are breakers a standard type/physical size? I think they are fairly expensive so i don't want to make multiple purchases. Also, do you have to install the crossover bar in the box so that the breaker gets both hot leads or that is already there and you just snap the breaker in as is? I'm not presently at the location where I will be adding this breaker.
Thanks in advance guys:thumbsup: :jester: ..

Jim Port 03-02-2008 10:46 AM

Your breakers should match the panel brand and type. Look on the label to see which types are acceptable for use in the panel.

A standard 2 pole breaker will connect to both busses. There is no need for you to install any other parts.

1500 watts on a 240 circuit equals 6.25 amps.

If your heater is straight 240, no neutral is needed. Just re-identify the white is the cable with a black or red magic marker or tape.

tristan 03-02-2008 10:54 AM

Thanks for your reply, greatly appriciated!
Is this label typically on the outside of the box? Or is is it on the inside?


EDIT - is this the same label that contains the breaker listing (what each breaker energizes) this was listed on it.
SQUARE D COMPANY
QO-LOAD CENTER QO-30
SERIES T2
1PH 3W S/N

thanks so much

tristan 03-02-2008 11:27 AM

so i did some hunting and found this..
http://www.pacificcoastbreaker.com/products/12721

that would be the correct one?

InPhase277 03-02-2008 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan (Post 103505)
Thanks for your reply, greatly appriciated!
Is this label typically on the outside of the box? Or is is it on the inside?


EDIT - is this the same label that contains the breaker listing (what each breaker energizes) this was listed on it.
SQUARE D COMPANY
QO-LOAD CENTER QO-30
SERIES T2
1PH 3W S/N

thanks so much

You need a 20 A double pole Square D QO breaker. Also, use 12-2 cable. The black and whit will land on the breaker.

Now, the double pole QO will not be like other breakers at the store. It has a single handle, where everything else has two handles tied together with a tie. Here is a QO double:

J. V. 03-02-2008 12:01 PM

Square D "QO" / 2 pole / xxamps / is all you need to know when you go to the store. Make sure it says "QO" on the breaker and you are set.

tristan 03-02-2008 01:19 PM

thanks so much. you have no idea how much I appreciate this! I hope I can somehow return the favor. Ok so I was taking my breaker box as an example (squareD). I just got back from the parents and their label was completely faded away. I could only make this out. FEDERAL PIONEER STAB-LOC.
Are there several types of stab-loc or is "2 pole (15 or 20 amp) federal pioneer stab-loc" all i need to know or do i need to open the breaker box to further define/identify what model of stab-loc I have?
Guys again, T H A N K S!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
greatly appriciated
-Tristan

duke2043 03-02-2008 01:29 PM

YOU WILL NEED A FEDERAL Pacific 2pole breaker

InPhase277 03-02-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan (Post 103531)
thanks so much. you have no idea how much I appreciate this! I hope I can somehow return the favor. Ok so I was taking my breaker box as an example (squareD). I just got back from the parents and their label was completely faded away. I could only make this out. FEDERAL PIONEER STAB-LOC.
Are there several types of stab-loc or is "2 pole (15 or 20 amp) federal pioneer stab-loc" all i need to know or do i need to open the breaker box to further define/identify what model of stab-loc I have?
Guys again, T H A N K S!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
greatly appriciated
-Tristan

Federal Pacific. Good luck finding one. They are hard to come by. May have to get one on ebay.

InPhase277

duke2043 03-02-2008 02:14 PM

if you can not find one contact me i have quite a few breakers.

tristan 03-02-2008 04:21 PM

so federal pioneer closed or changed names?

I did some searching and apparently federal pacific breakers are DANGEROUS!:eek: Check this out. http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpe.html

have you guys herd about this? Are federal pioneer's just as dangerous?
My parents have had the house for 26 years. If I tell my parents about this they may really get stressed out.. Question is; is there a reason to worry?
Thanks..

Speedy Petey 03-02-2008 05:04 PM

Tristan, are you in Canada? If so then for some reason, Federal Pioneer does NOT have the same problems Federal Pacific did here in the States.

Federal Pioneer is the largest panel company in Canada as far as I have seen. You should have NO problem getting one.

220/221 03-03-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Federal Pacific. Good luck finding one. They are hard to come by
Home Depot still sells them in AZ.:thumbsup:

And, most contractos have a crate of them taking up space in their boneyards. We hate to throw things away.

InPhase277 03-03-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 220/221 (Post 104011)
Home Depot still sells them in AZ.:thumbsup:

And, most contractos have a crate of them taking up space in their boneyards. We hate to throw things away.

Would you really want to re-use one? They were bad enough brand new, let alone used:laughing:! I have seen them in the occasional Home Ripoff, and small hardware. I'd rather try to sell them on a service change.

InPhase277

goose134 03-03-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Tristan, are you in Canada? If so then for some reason, Federal Pioneer does NOT have the same problems Federal Pacific did here in the States.

Federal Pioneer is the largest panel company in Canada as far as I have seen. You should have NO problem getting one.
I had heard something to this effect as well. The problems were Pacific not Pioneer. Kind of like AMF Harley's. (or so I'm told):whistling2:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.