Non-IC Rated Lighting In Insulated Cieling. OOPS! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Non-IC rated lighting in Insulated cieling. OOPS!

This is my first post. I read a bit here about IC vs. Non-IC Rated recessed lighting. Well, as it turns out, I installed 4 inch non-IC rated lights above my kitchen. Had no idea at the time they could not come in contact with the insulation. Anyway, I have tried to determine some way to insulate these things without replacing all of them. (8) Heat resistant foam came to mind but I don't want to burn down the house. I am stumped and believe I just have to replace them.

I do have access from above in the attic with some room. The problem is a few of them are right next to a rafter and there is no way the box for an IC rated housing will fit. Any ideas?

Advertisement

MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

You will have to build boxes around them (aprx. 3 times the size of the fixture to allow for non-close contact), and then from there will have to insulate. Otherwise, get the correct fixtures, and fix it now, then doing it the other way.

And as for the boxes not fitting, fixtures can be rotated to allow for the box to fit, or look into Low Voltage fixtures, that use a remote transformer.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Electrician's Helper

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

all you really have to do is keep the insulation at least 3 inches away from the light in all directions. this is cheap plus not labor intensive. only reason i know this is cuz we just went over this unit at vo-tech.
Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Pudge is right on. If you want to bury these cans then you'll have to build boxes. If, like in my father's house, a draft becomes apparent, then consider air tite trims. They are available at home centers. They don't look much different on the outside (which is good) but the cut down on airflow significantly. Good luck!
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
electrical contractor

Rewards Points: 150

use some roof flashing formed in a circle and set down around the light to hold the insulation back at least 3 inches from the fixture. leave the top of the flashing ring open for air flow, some recessed fixtures have a thermal cut out in them when it gets too hot the light goes out, thermal cools and the light comes back on.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Union Electrician

That's actually not a bad idea. Also thermal cutouts will open when the lamp wattage is too high for the fixture. Same principle.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks everyone. Great info. I like the idea of the flashing and the airtight trims. I will have to take another look but I think the cans actually have holes of some sort in them. Ugh!
MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
Union Electrician

When I say air tite trims, I believe it is a trade mark from HALO. They are by no means actually air tight, nor do the cans have to be. Take a look at the home center. I may be remembering the name incorrectly, but it's in that vein.

Advertisement