Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Noisy swimming pool pump

after a heavy rain season and flooding the pool pump shorted out twice and now is very noisy.any suggestions?

1redhotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Noisy swimming pool pump

Bring it to a motor shop.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

Noisy swimming pool pump

I would just replace it. They do not cost much and you will get a warranty. Secondly. Have you ever separated a motor from a pump housing? Its not as easy as it looks. I would also bet if you did get it apart, you would not get it back together correctly. So take your time and make notes as to how everything goes back together, should you go with this method.

If you do decide to take it to a motor shop, send the pump and motor as one unit. Cut the pipes and install unions. That way they will be the ones separating the pump and motor and putting it back together. They will provide the gaskets, seals and bearings that you do not have and will have a hard time with. It will go back in real easy and come out real easy if you use this method. Good Luck.

Note: Installing unions regardless of repair method is a very good idea. This way you can remove the pump and motor during the winter and put it right back in when summer rolls around.

Last edited by J. V.; 09-16-2010 at 10:22 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Noisy swimming pool pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Bring it to a motor shop.
Years ago I had a couple of 56j frame pump motors with bad bearings and I thought that I would have a motor shop replace the bearings, I tried several and nobody would work on them, they said that a new motor is so cheap that they couldn't charge enough to make it worth their time, so I ended up bringing them all back home. After a couple of years of tripping over them I was going to throw them out and decided to attempt changing the bearings myself, it wasn't too bad of a job and I have done several sets now. My point of the post is that you may have a difficult time getting someone to work on a swimming pool pump motor and they really are cheap online.

http://www.poolcenter.com/motor_parts.htm

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/56Jframe.htm
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Noisy swimming pool pump

Remove the motor from the pump housing and see if the impeller is broken - a common failure and easy to replace. If ok, then take it to a motor shop. Depending on their recommendation and cost, repair or replace.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Noisy swimming pool pump

My pool pipe broke open and the water pumped out - about 2 feets worth and the entire hot tub before we shut the system down. I just had the pipes fixed, turned it back on and now the motor is whining. Is there anything i can do to stop the noise or at least tone it down? WD-40?? Something??

susanish is offline   Reply With Quote